Chapter 9: The Betrayal

Marchetti Financial Inc Headquarters

Salvatore stepped into his father's office and stopped in the doorway. He was sitting behind his desk, phone clutched against his ear, speaking in a steady stream of Italian. Enzo and Dante were seated across from him, their eyes bright with curiosity. "Padre," Salvatore said, taking a sip of his bottled water. "Do you plan to contact Don Giovanni Ferrari?" he continued.

A wave of relief washed over Salvatore; He knew his father was trying to reach out with an old friend from their country of Italy. Salvatore's best friend Monette was Don Ferrari's eldest daughter; He'd call her soon to check how they were doing. Giovanni Jr. and his twin sister were like family to him when he was in school. Whenever Salvatore's mom had to work, their mother would look after him."

Don Arturo slammed the phone down, his eyes blazing as he looked at his three sons. "Si, Salvatore. That was Don Ferrari." His voice shook with rage. "He will fly back to the states tomorrow, but his son will come to your office tomorrow to speak with you," he spat out between clenched teeth, puffing hard on his cigar.

Salvatore nodded grimly. "Sounds good, Padre. Papa, Enzo, and I need to get back to the office. I have my new coder coming in today. Hopefully, she can help with the issue we are having."

"God damnit." Enzo cursed under his breath. "My team and I have tried every code we know and still nothing."

Dante cracked his knuckles menacingly. "Well, I'm taking some men on the streets and see what we can find." he said darkly.

As Salvatore and Enzo left, Dante remained in the room with his father. The words flew out of Dante's mouth like molten lava. "I don't trust that Doyle prick," he snarled. "He's always been trouble." Don Arturo fixed his piercing gaze on his youngest son, assessing the situation with a calculating eye.

"What do you suggest we do about it?" Dante grinned wickedly, a reckless glint in his eye as he suggested they pay Doyle a visit and show him who was really boss around there. Don Arturo considered this for a moment before shaking his head decisively.

"No, son." he warned sternly, "We can't let him know. We know he put the hit out. Plus, this has to get Salvatore's approval. Do you understand... he is the new Don, so don't go giving your brother trouble."

Dante's face fell, but he nodded in agreement. He had forgotten about Salvatore's new position as Don. He had always been impulsive, and this time wasn't any different. As he left the room, he couldn't help but feel a twinge of disappointment. As Dante walked down the corridor, his mind was racing with thoughts and ideas. He was determined to act against Doyle, but he didn't want to disappoint his father or undermine Salvatore's authority. He needed to come up with a plan that would benefit the family, causing no trouble.

Suddenly, his phone buzzed in his pocket, interrupting his thoughts. He fished it out and answered, "Hello?"

"Dante, it's Maria." said the voice from the other line. Maria was Dante's childhood companion; they had always been inseparable. She could always provide him with the information he required. "What's up, Maria?"

Maria spoke in a low voice, "It's concerning Armando. I picked up on something while he was talking on the phone earlier. It sounds like Armando is up to something against Salvatore."

This put Dante on alert; time was of the essence, and he needed to act quickly. "Where are you now, Maria?"

"I'm here at the headquarters. Why do you ask?"