Chapter 16: Who Killed Our Parents?

"Don Ferrari Sr. Nice seeing you again Sir." Don Salvatore said, shaking the most powerful boss's hand.

"It's my pleasure, son. And who may this beautiful young lady be?" Don Ferrari Sr. asked.

"This is my girlfriend, Indira Anderson." Don Salvatore replied, looking at Indira with a smile of pride. Don Ferrari Sr. boomed, beckoning them in with a wave of his hand. "Ah, I see. She is beautiful, Sal." he declared, his face beaming. Then, turning to Indira, he said with narrowed eyes and a knowing smile. "It's nice to meet you, Indira." his words hung in the air like a silent threat.

"The pleasure is mine." Indira replied.

Don Ferrari Sr. motioned for them to sit, and they sank into the luxuriously soft leather chairs that surrounded his imposing mahogany desk. Don Ferrari Sr. leaned back, lighting a cigar, and filling the office with an acrid, woody smell.

"So — this is not how I wanted us to come together." Don Ferrari Sr. said gravely.

Don Salvatore inhaled sharply. "Don, this is hard for all of us, but I think I know who could kill my parents." his voice was low and quivering with rage.

Don Ferrari Sr. shot upright in his chair. His son and brothers behind him stared at each other wide-eyed. Don Ferrari said gruffly. "Who do you suspect, son? You must be sure."

Don Ferrari Sr., I believe it's my half-brother Armando. I have eyes on him now. My brothers Enzo and Dante are at our parents' offices right now, searching for clues. Neither of us has ventured into our parents' house yet.

Don Ferrari Sr. took a long drag from his cigar, the only sound in the room for a moment. "Armando? I never trusted that snake when he was around. But are you certain?"

Don Salvatore's face twisted with contempt. "I know the truth — he wanted control of our family business, and he would stop at nothing to get it. His bitter jealousy overflowed when I inherited the Don position, and he has deliberately tried to sabotage my authority ever since. With our father and my mother gone, he thinks he would now have the chance to seize control."

Don Ferrari Sr.'s face hardened as he listened to his godson's words. "If what you say is true, then we need to hurry. Enzo and Dante will always be loyal to your family because they're your right-hand men, but Armando's loyalties are questionable. We cannot risk him finding anything incriminating in your parents' house."

Don Salvatore nodded in agreement. "I've already dispatched a team of my most trusted men to search the house and gather any evidence that might incriminate Armando. We can't let him think he can get away with this."

Don Ferrari Sr.'s eyes narrowed. "And what about Armando's men? You know he has a loyal following who will not hesitate to strike back."

Don Salvatore smirked. "Let them try. We have ears in their camp, we know their plans before they do. Armando won't stand a chance against us."

Don Ferrari Sr. nodded; his expression grim. "This is war, Salvatore. We need to be prepared for anything."

Don Salvatore's voice quivered with rage as he spoke. "I understand, Don Ferrari. That is why I have come to you. My father trusted you above all else, and he always insisted that if I ever needed help, I should turn to you. For now, we must maintain the men in their ranks until after our parents' funerals next week; but afterward let chaos reign."

Don Ferrari Sr. gravely nodded his agreement, then inquired about Armando. Don Salvatore sprung from his seat, gripping the hand of his lady with a sneer that stretched across his lips. His eyes were fixed on Don Ferrari Sr. as he swore in a low and menacing voice. "Trust me, friend. My brother will feel my wrath for killing our father and our mother. I won't act until we bury our parents, but after that, no one will remember him. Everyone will know that Don Salvatore of the Marchetti Mafia family shows no mercy to anyone."