Marroio and Yarrow

You didn't try to make friends.

Since you have been in San Diego and decided to follow this race, you haven't tried to make friends. On the contrary, you have always tried to remain neutral towards the candidates for the winners of the race. Of course, you always helped those who were in need, but you always wanted to avoid cheering for anyone.

All those years traveling alone made you a classic misanthrope, even if your altruism wouldn't suggest it. You certainly weren't trying to befriend Gyro, Johnny, Mountain Tim, or Diego. You were just doing your job: helping others and selling your herbs. That's exactly what it was. You didn't want to face undue favoritism from runners.

But sometimes a simple shared feeling can bring people together more than expected. A feeling like thirsting for a Caribbean rum that's been sitting in one of your drawers for months.

You promised yourself you'd only have two or three glasses with them, and, you managed to keep that promise. Gyro and Johnny weren't used to this kind of drink - in fact, Johnny didn't seem to be used to any alcoholic beverages, so he settled for a cup of tea. Gyro, on the other hand, accepted the imaginary challenge to drink something different.

''I don't think this is a suitable drink for women.'' Commented Gyro with a simple smile as he watched you finish your third glass of rum.

''I've drunk much stronger drinks and with people much worse than you.'' Relaxed, you replied.

Gyro let out a different laugh. A crisp ''nyo-ho'' as you'd never heard before. It made you laugh along with it.

''That's interesting,'' He continued with a golden smile on his face. ''what kind of people do you hang out with, Miss (Y/N)?''

You looked at Gyro, paying attention to his cheeky tone. Your bare feet slid across the stone table where you were still sitting, and you set your glass down beside it. You remembered that a few minutes ago Johnny had asked Gyro to get wood for the furnace when he saw that the fire was about to go out. Of course, he wasn't going to get wood when he saw you pulling the dusty rum bottle out of your wagon. Besides, you forgot to pick herbs outside.

As you were about to answer Gyro, you looked to the side, startled by a sudden shout from Johnny.

''Hey! Dio!'' He said angrily as if trying to get someone's attention.

Gyro peeked into the window next to Johnny to see what it was and grimaced. You didn't say anything, just watched them curiously and heard a strange murmur outside.

''What are you doing here, Dio?'' You hear Johnny ask as the door opens behind you.

You look over your shoulder and see Diego slowly walking in. Startled, you quickly stand up and take a few steps back.

''Nothing...'' He replied sheepishly to Johnny's question as he slipped through the door.

''Nothing?!'' Johnny looked more and more irritated.

''Hey, back off, you bastard!'' You heard Gyro order. ''Don't come in!''

''Diego?'' you whisper, watching the scene.

''Oh, are you wondering why I was eating those rocks?'' He said quietly, looking off into space. Johnny and Gyro stared at him in confusion and silence. ''It's for digestion, Mister Joestar, don't you know? It helps your stomach's digestion. It crushes what you ate inside the stomach... they're called gastroliths. Most meat-eating creatures do this. It's a health method... learned from birds and alligators. I feel splendid.''

Again, you couldn't understand much through the barrier caused by Diego's accent, but you could guess what it was about when you heard Gyro say ''Bullshit!''.