Pork and Whiskey

''And gracefully... Goaaaal! And here he comes! Gyro Zeppeli! Following him is Johnny Joestar!'' shouted the caller, so loudly that your chest shook.

You were sitting on the floor next to Cadichon, away from all the crowds of runners and fans. Sunlight was a comfort in the face after countless events. You stared endlessly at the race result leaflet. Norisuke Higashikata, Pocoloco, Gyro Zeppeli, Johnny Joestar, Dot Han, Sandman, Hot Pants... You knew them all. They bought your products and accepted your medical services casually. Any one of them could be collecting the corpse parts and be a potential threat.

Hot pants. You read it again and laughed at the nickname. The most daring person you've met in this race, a woman was among the contenders for victory, and that was naturally satisfactory for you. Cadichon flattened one ear and whinnied, shaking his head. The sun was now on your face and you closed your eyes, enjoying the feeling of warmth on your bare shoulders. Consequently, closing her eyes caused her to instantly doze off.

You woke up to something poking your legs. Startled and jumped up, hitting your head on a tree behind you. Leaves and small twigs showered over your shoulders and you waved your arms wildly, trying to disentangle your hair from the spiky twigs. Scratched, disheveled, and irritated, you looked up to see a tall Italian nudge you with his feet.

''We've been looking everywhere for you, (Y/N).'' Johnny, who was beside Gyro, said.

''Are you guys going to be always looking for me now?'' You grumbled. ''What do you want?''

''We came to make sure you were all right. We saw Lucy with her husband, but you were nowhere.'' Gyro replied.

''How lovely... You can leave me alone now.''

His eyebrows rose and Gyro knelt beside you. A playful, good-natured gleam in his eyes, with an easy smile. He didn't look like the man who could turn you to jelly with just a shout.

''You look tired, did you eat anything?'' Johnny asked while Gyro analyzed every feature of your face.

''Just water and watercress.''

''Would you like to go with us to the saloon? You're not a runner, so you can't eat at the buffet.''

''I don't know... will I have to pay?''

''Are you serious?'' Gyro snorted and you raised an eyebrow. ''Fine! We pay, but it's good that you don't charge us anything else, in case we need something.''

You tied Cadichon away from Gyro and Johnny's horses, still trying not to arouse suspicion. You paid little attention to your surroundings as dreamily enjoyed the silence of the walk to the saloon. The two men seemed more relaxed and not at all shaken by the last events. Johnny was in the wheelchair, and you still felt a little moisture coming from them.

When reached the saloon, you sat down near the counter.

''Whiskey.'' You placed your order with the disheveled old creature behind the counter who eyed you judgmentally. He looked at you with rheumy eyes, but a nod from Gyro made the man bring the bottle and three glasses. The glasses were thick and greenish, with a chip on the rim, but they were open at the top and that was all that mattered now.

When the searing effect of swallowing the drink wore off, it brought a certain spurious calm to you. You felt off, taking in the details around you, casting stern looks to the men in the saloon.

''You know, (Y/N)... When we said we were going to take you to the saloon... we meant to get something to eat.'' Gyro said, watching you drink all the whiskey in the glass in one gulp. ''Damn, you drink like a man!''