Coca Leaves

''Who are you?'' You heard Gyro ask.

The light was fading into gray morning shadows and the woods seemed filled with all the despair and fear of the end of the world. Accompanied Johnny and Gyro, remaining hesitantly behind them the entire time. The man was finishing burying Gaucho's body and you could still see traces of the lifeless face under a thin layer of earth. The simian expression of suffering and astonishment stamped in the post-mortem. Johnny glanced at you as if he agreed to keep you behind them.

The strange man positioned the shovel at his side and turned away, nonchalantly. He looked each one over from head to toe, and you felt a chill run down your spine as his gaze lingered on you. Then he looked at Hot Pants, positioned at the back of the house.

''If we are to converse... I would like to do it one at a time. Would one of you and the lady move back, to where the other gentleman was standing?'' He suggested, in a calm and polite voice.

''Listen up...'' Gyro's brows drew together in discomfort and impatience. ''Whatever you're trying to pull, we don't care, alright? Just answer my goddamn question.''

''If we were engaged to a shootout now... if, of course, you would not be able to defeat me... '' Upon hearing his words, you sighed shakily, and his hand involuntarily curved over his gold from your ring. ''The gentleman on the left stands a chance. So you, kindly, step back''

That man's eyes were dark and didn't reflect even a glimmer of emotion. It was the eyes of someone willing to kill and die, without a doubt.

''And take the lady away. This is for your own good, step back.''

You heard Cadichon snort beneath you and shake her head as if she sensed something terrible. The woods whispered as the man spoke. The faint patter of foliage against the wind mingled with the muffled murmur of conversation. Johnny didn't do what the man said, so you didn't walk away either. You wouldn't do or say anything unless you knew exactly what was going on. Felt slightly queasy, as much of the anxiety as from the leaden fear put in the pit of your stomach. Underlying it all, you noticed a wave of seething anger in Gyro and Johnny.

Cadichon neighed and snorted louder this time, you didn't understand why, so you stroked the mule's neck in an attempt to calm it down. Without a saddle and proper reins, she could easily bring you down. You suddenly noticed that Gyro was acting strange, hunching over his horse and breathing heavily through his teeth, as if he had been shot. You thought about asking if he was okay, but you heard Johnny talking.

''What do you want from us? Are you a terrorist? Are you linked with the government?''

''I apologize for the delay, but allow me to introduce myself...'' He bowed respectfully. ''My name is Ringo Roadagain, I'm a stand user. I developed my abilities three years ago in the desert. I call it Mandom... please recognize it as such... Only six seconds. Not a second more, not a second less. For precisely six seconds I can rewind time.''

They listened intently to the man's every word. He was decent enough to explain what made you go astray. You didn't particularly understand almost anything, but you tightened your hands in the metallic form of your carbine, not relaxing for a moment. Cadichon voluntarily retreated.

''I want you to attempt to kill me.'' Ringo continued, answering a question from Johnny. ''A fair duel will allow me to grow as a human being. I humbly request your cooperation. This is the true man's world. Do you want to condemn it as backwards? This world that we live in... it seems as if our values are leaning heavily toward one of spoiled indifference.''

''This is a joke? This guy is really weird.'' You said, frowning in derision.

''She's right! I quit! Let's go, (Y/N)! Johnny! Gyro!'' You heard Hot Pants say behind you. ''I'm not putting up with this shit anymore! Don't indulge him any further!''