Licorice Oil

The eastern light settled on your face, warming you comfortably, though you were still cold.

The last eight days of travel during this stage were the busiest you had ever had. Now, with all runners knowing the quality of your products, you always stopped to attend to someone.

You rested on a cornfield, organizing the records on your gramophone and then taking time for a late breakfast. This week was frighteningly quiet, seeing nothing more unusual or sinister than a red fox on the road, which looked at you, amazed, with a small rodent hanging loosely on its mandible. But despite all the tranquility, you still couldn't sleep properly.

Tired as you were, you just wanted to curl up inside the cornfield and try to sleep. However, there were no conditions for this, so you just continued to eat, lurking in the open landscape in search of the runners that were about to arrive.

The first runner had come silently. Only a slight rustle was heard at his feet shifting a gravel near your wagon and suddenly his greenish hair appeared quietly from your field of vision. Soundman. He disappeared into the cornfield like a ghost.

You smiled to know that Sandman remained firm in the race. The sympathy you had for him and his goals would go far beyond the natural prejudice you acquired for the Europeans of that race after meeting Gyro and Diego. It would be much more satisfying to see Soundman as a winner than any other runner.

Then you see Pocoloco and Dot Han, all in a hurry. They should all look ridiculous and maybe they were. A bunch of men crossing the United States in a fatal search for money and fame, many clumsy, parading the full galloping through the cornfield. But the hair on the back of your neck was standing up when you looked at the imposing and determined faces of these men.

So, a few meters from you, two gentlemen approached. Gyro and Johnny. The last time you saw them was about four days, and you had left before they shared the rabbit full of cat tooth holes. They were evaluating their rivals and barely seemed to have noticed you there. But when they noticed, you waved them amicably and smiled without realizing it. They waved back but no longer approached.

A distant rustle sounded, and you felt a tightness in your chest when you saw Diego sneak out agilely through the cornfield as if he want to hide. You also wanted to hide when you saw him, but another gentleman had already blocked the sunlight, hovering above you.

Not exactly a gentleman, but Hot Pants.

''Good morning, sir.'' You said in a relaxed tone, yawning. The fact that you didn't sleep for more than two hours in the last eight days was charging a tribute. You kept your snack and got up. ''How is your hand?''

''Recovering well, thank you. How is the journey, (Y/N)? Any information about Lucy Steel?'' She whispered, so low that you couldn't even hear properly.

''No, nothing.'' You squeezed your eyes to the right, looking at the little camp that Gyro and Johnny had done, and amazed like a deer when you noticed that they watched you while talking to Hot Pants. They didn't seem very happy, so you looked away. ''I'm afraid you haven't talked to Gyro and Johnny yet, isn't it?''

''No, you're the only source of information I need. They don't have to know that.'' She clarified dryly. ''Do you have any idea when she will infiltrate?''

''Probably at the end of this stage, when the president is distracted by the race or something. I still can't see it working. Gyro is a complete fool.'' You said the last sentence with a certain regret, remembering the day you found him in the lake. He didn't seem to be that kind of fool.

''You're wrong, I have a plan, but I need more information about it. If you want Lucy Steel to survive, we'll have to work together. Do you have any other information or guess?''

''As I said, nothing. But I have some guesses. By the way...'' You swallowed hard. ''Diego knows I was with Lucy on the night in Kansas City, but I denied everything. He is a few steps from finding out and, if he sees any type of suspicious activity at Lucy, our plan goes down the drain.''

''So, you mean Diego is working with the government? Why would he do that?''

''I don't know... But Lucy is too exposed.''

''Don't worry, I take care of it.''

''Huh? But, how?''

''I'll use my Cream Starter to help her. With a different face, no one would suspect. You said she'll do this at the end of this stage, don't you? I will arrive as soon as possible, in time to talk to her. Again, Gyro and Johnny don't have to know that, and stay away from Diego Brando, did you understand?''

Whatever you had eaten at breakfast, now it seemed to have turned your stomach. You couldn't say exactly if you were unhappy, angry, worried, desperate, afraid, or all at the same time. You knew that Hot Pants was willing to expose herself to help Lucy Steel and to collect the parts of the corpse. If something happens to any of them, you will feel a terrible fault. But it was impossible to avoid that, and you knew it.

You looked around and were prepared for whatever was about to come.

All those men, Gyro, Johnny, Diego... They all always came back. Was that luck or bad luck? No matter how many days, how many stages, and how many fights, they always came back. Mutilated, perhaps; somewhat affected, sometimes; severely injured, misaligned, lame and torn; But you always saw them once more. Maybe you should believe this to be a blessing or a right of yours. Perhaps deep down you wanted them to come back.

''Are you sure, Hot Pants? This is very risky...''

''Don't worry about me. Keep safe and with a closed mouth, alright?''

''Fine. But be careful, please... '' You searched one of your drawers melancholy and gave her a big vial. ''Take this. Licorice oil will help with your fatigue and your horse. If you want to arrive first, you'll need this. ''

She discreetly waved her head, as if she thanked, took the vial, and left in silence. You sighed in sorrow, and the kitten jumped over the counter to rub its head lovingly on your chest. You caressed it, listening to a purr, and looked around. Gyro and Johnny were no longer there. What were they thinking when they saw you with Hot Pants? Gyro doesn't seem to sympathize much with her, but above all, Hot Pants was the closest to an ally they could have on this journey.

You looked back, to where was their camp and noticed something strange. The shack next was destroyed and a dense cloud of dust was raised. The fire wasn't set off and the coffee was left behind. You frowned, wondering when it happened. You were so distracted with Hot Pants that the world around you seemed to have been silent, so didn't notice when they had left. But regardless of the reason, it wasn't a very quiet way out.

You noticed that there was no need to stay alone and left through the cornfield after offering water to Cadichon. This would surely be another sleepless night.