Rosé Wine and Cookies

Considering the hectic morning, that afternoon was calm. The city teemed with reporters, runners, and curious residents; and you explored every place with Cadichon. Many times, some children would stop you to pet the mule or ask how you managed to ride an animal without a saddle, and you were never quite sure how to answer that question.

The sun glinted off the rooftops of Kansas City buildings. The elite stables were just in the periphery, with buildings much more solid than the houses of the surrounding population. The barns and stables were of hewn stone and brick, with slate floors and roofs. Kept in a clean condition that far surpassed the hospitals you had visited earlier.

You went down and tied Cadichon outside so you could get into the place. Apparently it was open to the public, although the runners' horses remained in a special area which you had no trouble breaking into. You had nothing in mind to do there, were just too curious to explore every corner of the city in your free time. You darted past the visitors and peered into a half-open door that led straight into a clean, green courtyard. There was a fair amount of noblemen and women talking, but they didn't see you among the horses.

''Get the hell out of here.'' You heard someone whisper and felt your heart leap out of your mouth before you even noticed that he wasn't talking to you. A stableman was scolding a child who probably worked there. ''And for God's sake, don't throw horse shit at the rich. Now go and stay out of trouble.'' He completed the advice with a smack on the bottom of the kid's short pants, which sent the boy staggering away.

You were in doubt as to the inconvenience of having invaded that place out of pure impulse and curiosity, but now that you were there, it wouldn't be worth just leaving without any purpose. Staying there for a while was fair enough, except you'd get too excited with the air and the light and the beautiful, huge animals right under your nose. So, mad with nervousness and agitation, you petted every horse that pointed its muzzle at you.

''Miss (Y/N)? What are you doing here?'' A soft, concerned voice echoed behind you and startled you as much as it startled the horse you were petting.

You turned like a startled squirrel and released your lungs when saw Lucy's delicate, confused figure. It was no wonder that she was around, among the nobles. When you discreetly eyed them across the yard, you saw that they were distracted by the arrival of two large and beautiful horses.

''Ah, Lucy, I...'' You tried to explain yourself, but your exhausted brain refused to come up with any lies. ''I...''

''Lucy, where are you?'' A male voice murmured in the background.

''Oh, no, no... It's my husband! (Y/N), you shouldn't be here!''

Despite her failed attempts to hide you, Lucy wasn't quick enough to do so. By her nervousness, you could tell she wanted to bury you in the horse dung so you'd never be found there.

''Lucy! There you are..." The man's voice faltered slowly as he moved closer and recognized your face. ''What... You're the healer! What are you doing here? Lucy, did you call your friend?''

You gaped and froze, watching Lucy shake her head at her husband with wide blue eyes. The stable itself was light and airy, thanks to the huge, unglazed windows that opened at each end, looking out over the courtyard lawn and a few surrounding buildings. You could see yet another line of big, elegant horses being brought out by the grooms; one or two seemed restless, breaking into a rattling gallop, then breaking back into a trot or a march, tossing their heads and manes with a loud, shrill whinny.

''Stephen, I...''

''Mister Steel!'' You cut her off immediately, trying to maintain your posture and practicing a handshake. ''It's a pleasure to see you again! I... They called me here...''