CHAPTER 24 - A Twist of Fate

"The painting 'Mother and Child (1976)' is sold for 500 million pesos to the bidder seated in number 17. Ms. Iren...."

As soon as the host of the event was about to continue his words, a sudden shortage of power interrupted the whole place.

Dawn, Aton alongside Alice immediately sighs from relief after witnessing such a dangerous situation.

"Apologies everyone, we'll quickly fix the outage. Thank you" The host said, voice was being raised for the audience to be heard

The attendees patiently waited in the dimly lit room, their murmurs filling the temporary silence.

"Alice" Greggy said, almost audible to shift her gaze towards him

"Yes Greggy?" She asked curiously

Throughout the auction, Greggy couldn't help but notice a familiar voice bidding against him.

Her voice, still soft, carried a distinct enthusiasm that Greggy could still remember.

Was it because she was here?

Are they in the same place again?

Those are some of the questions that were running through his head.

"Hm, never mind, Alice. I forgot what to say" He respond, getting his attention back at the stage

Not long ago, the power outage was finally restored.

Mr. Ramirez, the host, took the stage once more, his voice echoing through the now-energized hall.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I apologize for the interruption. Without further ado, I present to you the next exquisite artwork up for bidding," Mr. Ramirez announced, resuming the event with renewed enthusiasm.

The auction continued, but the previous excitement seemed to have dissipated slightly after the power outage.

However, the attendees remained engaged, their attention shifting back to the beautiful artworks on display.

"Ms. Irene" Iris spoke as she quickly tap her shoulders

"Yes, Iris?" Irene asked after shifting her gaze to look at her

"U-uhm, baka po pala sa Monday... I'll be coming po late since I need to attend something important lang po" She informed early

"Sige, no problem. Saan ka ba pupunta?" Irene inquired, her tone filled with genuine concern

Iris hesitated for a moment, gathering her thoughts before replying.

"May bibisitahin lang po ako Ms. Irene but It'll be just quick" Iris answered

"Well, sige. I don't mind. Basta if you need a day to be absent, just tell me. Napapansin ko kasi your feeling unwell for the past days" Irene worriedly replied

"I will po" Iris politely ended as she then turned her attention back to the front.

As the afternoon progressed, the bidding continued, and other art pieces found new owners.

The atmosphere in the room became more relaxed, conversations buzzing with admiration for the remarkable artworks and the thrilling auction experience.

Eventually, the auction came to an end, marked by the final hammer strike and applause from the satisfied attendees.

"Ms. Irene, I'll just go to the bathroom lang po. You can wait me outside nalang po then I'll just look for you" Iris politely informed

Irene nodded in acknowledgement.