Father's Perspective

I let her go. I can't believe I actually beat her till she died and let her go. I can't say I regret it. Useless brat if a daughter. Couldn't even speak, can't be useful. I walked away after I dumped her. Useless child. I can do it myself.

I walked back to my house. It was filthy. That disgusting slop she called a meal, the rate scurrying around the couch, and the dirty dishes lazing in the sink.

Yet I feel a foreign emotion. Shame. Could I have done better? Does she know how I really felt about her?

Whatever. No matter .

I brushed all the dirt and grime off my bed and lay down. She deserves it. I don't feel bad. I quickly fall asleep, my worries melting away.

I woke up with a jump. The roof is being ripped off the house. A large man with dark ginger hair and a grin on his face started back at me. On his shoulder, a small girl with an eye patch . It doesn't take a genius to figure that she ratted me out. That traitor.

He grabbed me in his coarse hands, without a word, snapping my arm backwards . I screamed, but heard nothing. He picked at my leg, bending it in a direction never seen before. I screamed, but I couldn't hear anything.

"Pathetic." The girl said softly, as they walked away.

I woke up in a cold sweat. It was just a dream, right?

I went to the village cartographer ( someone who sells/ knows a lot about maps .) Grabbing my gold, I ran to his house.

I knocked once .

No reply .

Again.

No reply .

"Jeremiah open this damn door before I do it myself!"

A sleepy man with a salt and pepper beard, long robe and candle stood at the door.

"Eh? Oh. Howard." He said with bitterness. "I hope this is work waking me up for."

I threw my pouch of gold at his face, just missing his nose.

"I need a map to the Giants Cove. Now. That's 50 gold coins for you if it happens right now."

He snatched up the money and disappeared into his archives.

A stained paper wrapped with string was in his hand.

"Good luck, Howard. "

I grabbed the map and headed home.

This wasn't just a dream. This was destiny.