6

The first week of classes went by smoothly; It was definitely an adjustment getting used to the faster paced life here in comparison to high school.
I also really miss my dads cooking in the mornings, and him always having my coffee ready to go. Today my mission is to track the bus routes or find a store that's a walkable distance from campus.

Natalie's been gone from the room most nights. I'm not sure if they're having parties every night or if she's just gone staying the night with Bill. Either way, it's gotten pretty lonely. She invited me to a party a few nights ago, but I had classes the next day so I had to politely decline.

She told me Tom had been asking about me, and why I hadn't came back over since the first time.
Which severely surprised me considering he barely talks to me in the 3 classes we share.
I would've thought if he was so concerned about me coming over, he would have the balls to ask me his damn self.

The most he's spoken to me in the past few days is to ask for a piece of paper, or he'll slide closer to me and copy off of my notes.
I've tried keeping my distance, but I can't help it. My heart flutters any time his arm brushes against mine in our chairs, or when his eyes meet mine while he asks for something.

In my head I hope he's finding excuses just to talk to me, but deep down I know that's not true.. he's Tom, he 'doesn't do girlfriends'  I have to remind myself of Natalie's words.

This morning I woke up to an empty dorm, again..
I lazily threw on a comfortable outfit and brushed through my hair, not worrying about getting all dolled up just to go to the store.
I need a few different things, toiletries, some snacks, maybe some makeup of my own. I really liked the way Natalie did my makeup the other day, maybe I'll start trying a lighter version of that sometimes.

I sighed shoving my phone into my pocket as I walked out the door, locking it behind me. Before I could make it two steps down the hall Tom was rounding the corner, a flat expression on his face, like always. He perked up when he saw me, the outer edge of his lips curving into a light smile.

"Hey Bella, what are you doing?" He stood in front of me now, awkwardly sliding his hands into his pockets.

This is so weird, I've never seen Tom so.. content? Polite?
I shuffled nervously, not knowing how to talk to him, it's a lot easier to be snappy when he's his usual self.

"I was about to go to the store. What are you doing?" I questioned, crossing my arms together over my chest.

Tom paused, looking me up and down, "Nothing really." He removed a hand from his pocket to scratch the back of his neck. "Actually.. I came to see what you were doing today." He chuckled lightly, taking a step closer, instinctively I backed up, hitting the wall behind me.

Oh?

"Ooh u-um.. why?" I looked down, trying to avoid his gaze as he shifted even closer, cornering me, a faint blush covering my face.

"I want to hang out." A proud grin on his lips, almost leaving me breathless.
What is with this sudden change?

"Okay, you wanna take me to the store?" I looked up, smiling sheepishly. Tom looked off to the side, pondering for a moment.

"Sure."

And just like that he turned, starting to walk down the hall.

"W-wait!" I sped forward catching up to him, he laughed lightly at my efforts.

"So are you coming over tonight?" Tom asked once we were on the road a few minutes away from campus. I turned to him, surprised at his sudden interest in being around me.