A CONVERSATION AND A JACKAL

Episode 22| THIRD POV

The next day, Veronica was sitting alone in her room. The circumstances that happened yesterday seemed to passed by a breeze as there was no reaction from both the Marchioness and Marquis that she anticipated for. Sophia had informed her that last night was rather contrary to present.

She concluded that with her interactions with the young Master of Freitscheid, there would be 'discussions' regarding the matter. However, as she waited their calling there was none. Breakfast had passed, but not even the Marchioness exclusive servant came to fetch her which made Veronica unease.

The manor was  silent as servants keep with their usual tasks, aside from some daring servants that ignored her and belittles her presence, she was not bothered by the least of it. Rather, the thought that the Marquis and Marchioness must have a different plan, knowing their personality.

Veronica tappped the table with visible discomfort. A frown lace upon her face as she waited for Sophia's arrival. She thought about the events that had occured, the Marquis, in fact, was what she was agitated about. Knowing the old man, the backlash that he received from Hazen himself would caused problems. Nevertheless, the Marquis also knows not to step a boundary considering the status between him and a Duke, not just an ordinary Duke, but someone with the blood of the imperial family. The Marquis knew not to crossed a line, but he also knows how to work behind the scenes without being suspected too much. The Marquis too, has a reputation to uphold in society.

Her previous life, she had witnessed just what a two-face bitch the Marquis was. While she exhausted herself to get his approval, unbeknownst to her, like a puppet in a show she was paraded without consideration but for the sake of everyone's greed, in particular, the Marquis himself who laughs like a saint in front of others but is actually a venomous serpent at the back.

She didn't want history to repeat itself this time, hence, the moment the door opened, joy displayed in her eyes as she stand up quickly.

"Sophia!" She said, ushering Sophia in a hurry.

"I made you wait Miss, I apologize. The head maid was making me do tasks that are usually done by the laundry maids" Sophia responded tiredly. She held her Miss softly and made her sit back on the couch.

"Miss, you shouldn't run too much or you'll sprain yourself" she added.

Veronica shake her head and gaze at her maid.

"You're concerned about me who had been sitting for hours. Compared to you, who had been tirelessly working that should be done by others. Sophia, please sit down too." She coaxed, glancing at her maid with worry and resentment towards the people that made her like this.

Sophia chuckled and refused her Miss words, rather, she carefully move Veronica in front of the vanity mirror, grab a brush, and started combing her hair gently.

"This but a menial work Miss, had I not agreed with the head maid's words, her minions would have come in Miss room and be arrogant all over." She answered, admiring her Miss hair.

Upon hearing her words, Veronica frowned. She doesn't have enough power to fire those daring maids that dared harm a noble, what more, those maids and even the head maid was working for the Marchioness.

"I promised, once we're out of this manor we will live the life anew Sophia. I'll make sure these people will suffer first before we make our departure." She muttered, looking down sadly.

Sophia gazed at her poor Miss, she, who have taken care of her since infant until present. Sophia doesn't understand why the Marchioness resented her so much to the point that she would throw her own daughter at the mouths of violent wolves. She was confused, sad, and even angry for her Miss who have suffered so much yet they didn't even bat an eye.

Until one day, when her Miss cried she knew she was on the verge of giving up. Her heart breaks for her, for the girl she cared as her own daughter, sister and a friend.

"I assure you Miss, whatever is your decision I will be there to support. Living anew doesn't sound bad at all, that means Miss could enjoy the life outside that isn't surrounded by noble society but new beginnings." She consoled, softly speaking to ease the downpour in her Miss heart.

Veronica glance up at the mirror and watched Sophia smiling gently as she combs her hair.  She nodded her head agreeing with her words.

"Yes, new beginnings..." She murmured, smiling this time.

Knock

Knock

What could've been a peaceful silence turned into a serious dread as the door opened rudely and an arrogant maid appeared with a sneer.

"Marchioness is calling for you Veronica." Letting out a scorned tone the maid left immediately without bothering to close back the door.

"That arrogant maid! —" Sophia gritted her teeth and was about to chase her when Veronica held her hand.

"No, leave her be. There's no use disciplining a feral animal with its teeth bare raw." Veronica coldly responded. Her soft demeanor gone.

She should've known doubting her thoughts was wrong, right now, the jackal has called for her and she knew that there could be a sinister intentions with the way even the maid was disregarding her.

That moment where she contemplated the present was amiable, it was too good to be true. At the least, she got to talk with Sophia and let out her emotions.

"Miss, if the Marchioness has called for you that could mean bad news. She will beat—" Sophia let out a concerned argument.

But Veronica shake her head and smiled firmly.

"Whatever may be, it's old news. That's nothing new, a few beatings wouldn't hurt at all. Still, I wouldn't disregard this too recklessly. After all, what happened yesterday made the Marchioness and Marquis faced humiliation from the young Master of the Freitscheid household." She explained, thinking about her words.

Sudden realization escape Sophia's eyes, she almost forgot what had transpired yesterday since she was too worried with her Miss conditions.

"Miss... Even last night, the Marchioness and Marquis was brimming with anger. I'm afraid she will take her anger out of you! " she muttered tearfully.

Veronica held Sophia's hand gently.

"I will be okay, I know Sophia will help me. I will endure whatever their insults, pain, and torture that comes after me. Just so you know, I will have my revenge." She said determinedly, consoling Sophia's heart.

Those eyes that are brimming with fire, Sophia accepted defeat. Her Miss was growing up and today she bear witnessed with those ire that made her firmed.

"I trust you, Miss. " Sophia almost cried but she held it in.

"Thank you Sophia." Veronica embraced her.

Moments like this was what made Veronica motivated.

'I will make sure that revenge will be painful, as painful as they'd done in my previous life'

Removing herself from the embrace, the two returned from their position. Sophia made sure her Miss looks modest and decent while Veronica readied herself from the tense conversation she will be having with her so called 'mother'.

-unedited.