limbo

“Seriously?”

“What?”

“That’s all it took? That’s the reason you’re coming back? Actually, don’t answer that. What airport are we picking you up from? Taehyun still has your Jeep.”

“Oh, but Bin-ah.” Yeonjun couldn’t help the grin splitting his face. “I’m already here.”

“You–!”

The park was quiet as Yeonjun walked down the path, pushing aside the doubts plaguing his mind. The cold wind teased his light tank top, and the promising spring sun rays never reached him.

Nonetheless, nothing could bring him down now. Not when the destination in his mind was straight ahead of him, in the form of a young boy in a black sweatshirt and torn blue jeans, back to him as he nervously shifted from foot to foot, hands stuffed in his pockets.

Next to him, a group of people conversed freely, 3 familiar and one Yeonjun’s only seen online. They all shot periodic glances towards the park entrance, unaware that Yeonjun has been here since early morning, waiting for them all to arrive.

His loose shoelace slapped the pavement as he walked, and he kneeled for a moment to tie it with shaky hands.

As he got up, the boy in the hoodie turned around.

Kai’s mouth fell open in a small ‘o’, and without a second thought, he took off running, knocking into Yeonjun with all the force he could, trapping him in a tight embrace, coming just short of knocking him off his feet.

There wasn’t a word spoken, but Yeonjun could read between the lines.

Could feel the ‘i missed you’ in the way Kai’s hands squeezed him, and the ‘im so happy to see you’ in the way his eyes shone when he leaned back to look him in the eyes.

“Hey.” Yeonjun said, a little awkwardly. His arms had come up to hold the younger closer to him, returning the hug. “Guess you missed me, huh.”

A weak punch is delivered to his shoulder, and Kai steps back.

Yeonjun lets him go regretfully.

I don’t even know where to start! Kai signs, seeming as overwhelmed as the elder. It’s refreshing, and calming, to know he was as nervous as him.

Suddenly, his eyes widen, and flicker down to his hands, and then back to Yeonjun, a little scared.

Knowing him in and out had its benefits. Yeonjun knew what he was thinking immediately.

I understand you, Hyuka. He signed, and watched the relief flood the younger’s face. As if I could ever forget what you taught me. He teased.

I don’t know. It’s been a long time.

One year.

That’s a long time.

Yeonjun sighed as he felt the gloomier mood descend upon them.

Why’d you come back? Kai asked, changing the subject.

For you.

No, seriously.

I missed you.

As simple as that? Kai shook his head in disbelief, turning away a little.

Yeonjun reached across them to take his hands, and heard Kai’s sharp inhale.

“Yes. As simple as that.”

There was slow hope blooming in Kai’s eyes, reluctantly, as if he didn’t want to hope, but couldn’t help but wish, but dream.

I missed you. Kai signed, leaving the ‘too’ off as always.

Yeonjun felt his lips quirk up into a smile. “I know.”

Their hands tangle together wordlessly, and Yeonjun pulls the younger closer, until Kai’s eyes close as his head falls forward to rest on Yeonjun’s shoulder, free hand coming around to give him a one-arm hug.

“I’m sorry for leaving.”

Don’t be. Kai’s free hand traces out on Yeonjun’s back. I learned a lot while you were gone.

“Really?”

Kai nods, fluffy hair tickling Yeonjun’s neck and chin.

“Like what?”

This time, the younger boy shakes his head, refusing to tell.

A few feet behind them, the rest of the group stands together, quietly watching their reunion. Yeonjun nods at Soobin, who flashes him a smile and a middle finger, rolling his eyes despite the obvious joy on his face.

Beomgyu shakes his fist at him, but grins a second later, and Taehyun just shakes his head in disbelief, smirking and, no doubt, planning a small ‘revenge prank’ as he usually did.

Beside them, the brown-haired boy who was, no doubt Heeseung, met Yeonjun’s eyes steadily, bowing a little in a respectful greeting. He seemed rather curious, but detached from the rest of the group, standing a few feet away in a light brown trench coat, hands stuffed in his pockets and a thoughtful look on his face.

“Hyuka.”

Kai made an affirmative noise to show he was listening.

“We should…” He trailed off. The idea of going to the rest of the group didn’t sound as appealing as it had that morning.

Kai pulled away reluctantly, looking up at him with his inquisitive eyes. Can we talk? He signed, and Yeonjun nodded without thinking.

He would never say no to anything Kai ever asked. It had been like that before, and it remained that way – nothing had ever changed, but the resolution to never leave again. He would never pull another ‘Mary Poppins’.

Slipping his phone out of his pocket, Yeonjun shot a quick text to Soobin, and watched his cousin receive it with a roll of his eyes, texting back “fucking knew it.”

“Let’s go?”

Kai nodded.

Their hands hung uselessly by each other, not quite apart, not quite touching. In limbo once again.