future-perfect

"Hello." He bowed politely to the two people Kai had aggressively hugged moments earlier.

They bowed back, looking at him curiously.

This is Yeonjun-hyung. Kai explained quickly. My boyfriend. There was a proud smile on his face as he introduced him.

Hyung, this is my eomma, and that's my appa.

Nice to meet you. Yeonjun signed back, and watched the apprehension on Kai's parents' faces clear a little.

You sign? The mother asks, smiling.

Of course. How would he and Kai communicate if he didn't?

Welcome, welcome. She ushered them into their small home. I'm sorry my daughters aren't here – they're on a trip to America, but they'd be sad they missed meeting you.

Yeonjun watched, without trouble, as her hands flew through the various signs, and he grinned, knowing she was testing him a little.

I've heard so much about them. He answered. Kai misses them a lot.

Kai hits his shoulder lightly, but doesn't deny it, hiding a smile by biting on his lip. He's obviously happy, practically jumping up and down with excitement.

"Kai, why don't you help your mother set the table?" The deeper voice of Kai's father interrupts gently. "I want to talk to Yeonjun-ssi."

Rolling his eyes, Kai leaves with his mom, squeezing Yeonjun's hand before he goes.

The elderly man takes Yeonjun to a small porch, and they stand there for a moment, side by side, admiring the birds feeding from the hanging feeder.

"Kai has never brought anyone home before." The man starts quietly. "Girl or guy." There's no judgment in his voice, but Yeonjun can see where this is going. "You seem nice enough."

"Thank you."

The man glances at him out of the corners of his eyes, before looking away again. "I'm not here to sugar-coat what you already know. Korea's not exactly the most accepting of your relationship."

"I'm aware."

"And you're okay with that?"

Yeonjun shrugged. "I care about Kai, his family, and our friends. Outside that circle, whose opinion really matters?"

"You've been to America."

"How do you know?"

"I see it. You're not a Seoul boy, you got that American optimism."

Yeonjun chuckles. "I've studied in America for a year, and graduated there."

"Do you have a job, Yeonjun-ssi?"

"I'm a KSL interpreter."

"Is that how you met Kai?"

"No. We met through a friend a few years back. I've learned sign language for him, actually."

"Did it take long?" There's a small tone of curiosity in that voice.

Yeonjun shrugs. "I don't believe learning ever stops. There are still phrases and words I don't know."

"Like?"

"Idioms."

Kai's father laughed, running a hand through his greying hair. "I never did get the hang of those." He has loosened up since they've started talking, and now turns to Yeonjun a little, glancing at him sometimes as he talks.