nerves

"Where the hell is he?" Yeonjun muttered, glancing at his phone for what felt like the hundredth time in the last few minutes. "I never should've let Taehyun drive."

He paces back and forth a few times, checking his phone once more when he feels it buzz.

But it's only a text and selfie from Kai, telling him he was on his way to pick his sisters up, and was leaving the cafe's keys with Taehyun.

He was grinning in the photo, holding up a small white cardboard box of leftover baked treats he had made that day.

He was leaning on the passenger door of Yeonjun's silver Jeep, brightly smiling as the wind blew on his long dark hair, turning it into the unruly mess Yeonjun knew it for. He had already changed out of his flour-stained work clothes, into a tshirt Yeonjun was half-sure was his, and the faded ripped jeans he wore on warmer spring days.

Smiling, Yeonjun clicked on the selfie, automatically saving it to his massive photo gallery to join all the other selfies Kai had sent him over the years.

"Summer boy!" A female voice sounds behind him.

Yeonjun turns, pocketing his phone and waving at the girl. "What's up?" He asks as she comes closer. He has a patient smile on his face, but his hands are restless, every second he stands feeling wasted.

"In a hurry?" She notices.

"Mhm. What is it?"

"Calm down. You look like you're late to your own proposal."

There's a moment of very awkward silence.

"Oh my god." She gapes at him. "Choi Yeonjun! Since when?!"

But Yeonjun just shakes his head, glancing at the time on his watch, still jittery.

"To whom?" She doesn't let up, jumping on this piece of what she thought was rare information. Secretly, she's a little disappointed, but that doesn't stop her from getting this piece of gossip. It wasn't every day that you discovered that a very private coworker had a partner, never mind a future fiance.

"Listen, as much as I'd love to indulge you in this conversation and whatnot, I really don't have the ti–" He interrupts himself as soon as the car pulls into the parking lot.

She doesn't get so much as a goodbye, left gaping after the black-haired boy as he swings into the passenger seat of a grey Jeep, clapping the driver on the shoulder, and reaching into the backseat for what looked like a box of baked goods.

Shaking her head, she watched them drive off. Another co-worker comes to stand beside her, watching the car drive off.

"Is that Kang Taehyun?" He asks, squinting. "What's he doing here?"

"Picking up Choi Yeonjun, apparently."

"Huh." They look after the leaving Jeep.

"Did you know Yeonjun had a girlfriend?" She asks.

"A girlfriend?" The man squints. "No, can't say I did." But there's a strange smile tugging at the corner of his mouth, a little bittersweet. "A boyfriend, however..."

The girl turns to openly gape at him, shocked. "LEE HEESEUNG! Why didn't you tell me?! I was making a fool of myself, hitting on him everyday!"

But the young man just smiles and shakes his head. "Maybe I wanted to see how he would react to you." He says, turning them both around to head back into the building.

"B-but..." She lets herself be led away. "Were you testing his loyalty or something?"

"Or something." Heeseung mutters. "Now, if you don't mind, I have a friend who needs my help setting up a proposal."