Burn the Midnight Oil

One Week Later
July 28th; 2023
Taylor Swift's Point of View
Joe and I are at my apartment this time. Joe kept going on about how we were wasting money by sitting around at the studio when we weren't recording anything. I gave in to his complaints but we had to go to my place since it had all the instruments and alcohol. We've been working all day together on Folklore and we're completely exhausted. It's 2 a.m. and we've lost motivation to continue anything but Joe hasn't left. We're just hanging out and laughing. I haven't gotten high today or had much alcohol. It's a lot easier to work sober surprisingly. It makes it less fun but Joe makes up for it. We have made the enemies to not enemies trope. I've enjoyed the Brit's company and I think I'll keep him around for a bit.

I'm lying across the couch while he's sitting on the floor. I groan loudly and hit myself with the notebook. "I give up. I have nothing left to give."

"Me either." Joe sighs and drops his notebook on the ground.

"You should go back home and feed your cat," I recommend. I'm trying to get him out of my apartment so I can drink or go to bed.

"He'll be fine. He's a cat."

"You're a horrible father. I can't believe you're starving your son."

"He has an automatic feeder. I think he'll be fine. You on the other hand would kill Benjamin in a day." He sneers.

"Screw you." I scoff and rip out a piece of notebook paper. I crumple it up into a ball and throw it at his face.

"Screw you." Joe mocks and pelts the crumpled-up ball back at me.

"Just for that, I'm getting a drink." I sass.

"Real mature of you." He continues to banter with me as I stand up to get a drink. "Why do you have so much expensive alcohol? You have a $25,000 bottle of bourbon just sitting there for everyone to see."

I look over at my bar cart where the pricey bourbons stands. "I've been saving them."

"For what?"

"I don't know. I guess tonight we're drinking bourbon though." I've been saving the bourbon for something special but I doubt anything special will happen in my life anytime soon. I pick up the $25,000 Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and set it on the kitchen counter.

"Wait, you're drinking that bottle of bourbon whiskey tonight?" He asks stunned.

"Nope, the two of us are. Joe, you ever tried an old fashioned?" I begin to make two old fashioned's for Joe and me.

"Should we really need to be drinking this late?"

"Yep." I quickly finish making the cocktails as this isn't my first time making one. I walk over to Joe and hand him his drink and I sit down on the floor across from him with mine. Joe looks at the drink, deciding what to make of it.

"Bottoms up." He gives into the alcohol and the two of us clink glasses. Joe takes a drink and immediately makes a sour face. "Damn, that is strong." I laugh hearing him suffer from his first experience with an old fashioned. After a couple of sips, Joe got used to it and we kept drinking and chatting.

"Okay, why are the outsides of blueberries blue, the insides green, but when you mash them they turn purple? Where's the logic in that?" I question. I'm lying on the floor while drinking my old fashioned from a bendy straw.

"Rabbits don't lay eggs so how does the Easter Bunny deliver eggs? There's a flaw in the system." Joe and I have been discussing important questions like these for the last half hour.

"He's the Easter Bunny. Wouldn't he have special powers? He's not your average guy."

"Hey, the Easter Bunny could be a woman. Are you trying to say that women can't do what the job requires?"