Green-Eyed Monster

10 Days Later
October 1st; 2023
Joe Alwyn's Point of View
I don't know how she does it. It's extraordinary and something special. I've never met someone so cryptic yet compassionate. Her talent is unmatched and her ability to work the industry is astonishing. Today we're taking a break from the album and hanging out. We got into a whole argument about American football and regular football. It mostly consisted of me being confused about the existence of the sport and why it's not called handball. 20 minutes later she's buying us two tickets to see a game this weekend. I don't know much about the sport except a bunch of angry men tackle each other and try to score points.

For some reason, people get really into it. Taylor says she likes the Philadelphia Eagles so I think we're watching them play today.

"Hurry up, Alwyn!" Taylor yells at me from the outside of my apartment. How did she get in my building?

"I don't know what to wear! What do you wear to these things?!"

"Just wear what you usually wear! It's basic enough!"

"Are you trying to say I have no taste in fashion?" We continue to talk through my door.

"Yes!"

I roll my eyes and open the door for Taylor. "Sorry, I can't afford designer clothes."

Taylor marches in wearing something unexpected. "I'm not wearing designer clothes. It's sports, not some catwalk." She's wearing a tight skirt, platform ankle boots, and a basic shirt. All three items are black. A green track jacket with gray sleeves completes the look. There's a small logo on it that reads Jets.

"I thought you liked the Eagles."

"They aren't playing today. It's the New York Jets and the Kansas City Chiefs. Just where what you usually wear but try and wear some green. Otherwise, I'm going to buy you a jacket."

"Fine." I go into my bedroom and put together what I can, hoping to please Taylor. I walk back out wearing jeans and a dark green sweater.

"Perfect!" She smiles and claps her hands.

"Can we go now?"

"Yep!" Taylor grabs my hand and yanks me outside. I lock the door to my apartment and we start to leave.

"Okay, why are we rooting for this other team?" I ask her.

"Well we had to choose between the two so I chose the better of the two options...even if we are going to most likely lose."

"Can you give me a rundown of this sport?"

"For starters, there's a whole culture to it. People just lose their shit over it for some reason. Especially the Cowboys. For some reason, tons of people love the Cowboys even though they kinda suck but they will defend to their grave they are amazing. They aren't. The Chicago Bears have been the worst NFL team for way too long. They never win. Neither do the Denver Broncos. At least their fans are aware of how bad they are."

"Bears and Broncos suck. Cowboys think too highly of themselves. How does the game work though?"

"First, there's a coin toss which decides who plays offense and defensive first." Taylor goes on for what seems like forever on how the game works and it sends my brain into overload. I have an actual headache listening to this.

"Your football makes no sense."

She rolls her eyes and the chauffeur pulls up to the stadium. "I got us really good seats so act like you belong."

"How good of seats?"

"They cost about $20,000 each so be a normal human."

"And I'm normally not?"