Curiosity Killed the Cat

One Week Later
July 20th; 2023
Taylor Swift's Point of View
I look at my phone as I get into the car and realize the session started 45 minutes ago. Shit, shit, shit. How do I always do this? My obsession with oxycodone is most likely the reason. My chauffeur drives me to Electric Lady Studios and I sit in the back seat. I open my phone and start to scroll through TikTok. I bite down as my thoughts begin to race. Curiosity starts to get the best of me and I go to the search bar and type #taylorswift. My rule for many years has been to never search for myself, especially after starting drugs. The search bar starts to automatically fill in options for me and I see something trending. I read the hashtag and it terrifies me to the core. My hand trembles and I feel like I may drop my phone. Blasted across the screen is #taylorswiftchallenge. I click on the hashtag and pull up the first video.

"Hello, everyone it's Zander and today we are doing our craziest challenge yet. The Taylor Swift Challenge is based on when she was caught car surfing with Harry Styles last year. So you need three people. You, your partner, and a driver. Then you just need a car. The goal is for you and your partner to kiss on top of the car for 13 seconds per her lucky number while going at least 30 miles per hour." I watch the young man bring his girlfriend into the frame. "This is my girl and we are going to be doing the challenge." The two of them laughing and smiling. It's like I'm watching a vlog of a person about to kill themselves. The video cuts to the two of them getting on top of the car with a GoPro. They hold onto the rails as the car begins to move. Once the car gains a good amount of momentum, they hook their feet under the rails and move forward with their knees on the roof. They lean forward and kiss continuously for 13 seconds then quickly grab ahold of the railing and wait for the car to slow down. The video cuts to them cheering, completing the challenge.

I scroll down seeing hundreds of people attempting the challenge or making memes about it. I'm going to kill people. Sadly enough, this is something I'd do. This is a Thursday night for me. Last year I was dating Harry Styles for a few weeks and I was car surfing on his Jaguar XJR575. It's a $125,000 car. He was driving and afterwards, we were making out inside the Jag. We did dirty things inside that car. I may have been more fond of that car than I was of Harry.

The chauffeur pulls up to Electric Lady Studios and I break out of my trance. I grab my things and start to walk inside. I walk into the studio where Joe is doing a crossword puzzle. "Hey, you're only 53 minutes late this time. I think that's a new record." Joe likes to joke around about how atrociously late I am every day.

"I woke up early." I sigh but my mind isn't exactly focused on Joe. All I can think about is how I'm killing teenagers that don't know better.

"That's new. What was it for? Sex? New drug dealer?" Joe throws another insult at me that's meant to be playful banter.

"Joe, please. I don't want to get into anything like that today. I just want to work and go home."

"Is it because of what happened? I thought we were done with that?" It was a little awkward after he yelled at me about my oxy for a few days there. I reminded him it wasn't his business.

"No. Let's just move on." I push.

"Okay." He nods softly, backing off. He doesn't want to start anything with me.

I go on my phone and search up #taylorswiftchallenge on Google because I'm smart and feel like destroying my mental health. News articles pop up and my eyes widen. I drop my phone and start to hyperventilate. It's visible how stressed I've become. My chest is rising and sinking rapidly as my breaths become shortened. I didn't notice I was crying until I saw tears falling to the floor. "I-I'm sorry-I need." I rapidly dig through my purse looking for oxy. I find the small baggie and dump whatever's remaining into my hand.