The Cat That Ate the Canary

Two Weeks Later
September 21st; 2023
Taylor Swift's Point of View
What does it feel like to be a month clean? Completely awful. I hate being clean. There's nothing I wish I could do more than go back to my old ways. I'm in constant fear of my future and what it holds. I don't know if I'll relapse or when. When I had drugs I had ways to cope with stresses in my life. A drink or two helps with it. But if anything is taking over my life, it's guilt.
Do you know how many much shit I've done over the last three years? I can't just right most of those. My sins aren't worthy of forgiveness. I'll never forget the one time I met a fan and I didn't have my wallet on me so I asked for $100. I was on my way to buy oxycodone. Of course, she said yes. I'll never forgive myself for that. When you become clean, you start to think about all the shitty things you did and they play in your mind over and over again like a broken record player. Then all you want to do to make it go away is get high but you can't do that so all you do is suffer in silence.
Sure, I'm proud of myself for being a month clean. But it's hard to be proud when you have fucked up so many lives because you wanted some drugs.

"Okay, keep your eyes closed," Joe tells me as we get out of his car. Apparently, he planned some surprise for me for being a month clean. I kept telling him I didn't want anything but he was very insistent.

"You put a blindfold around me. How am I supposed to see?" I question.

"It's for extra security."

"Joe, I seriously don't need this." I try to tell him again. I don't deserve anything.

"If you don't want to stay, we can leave, but something tells me you'll want to stay." Joe continues to guide me. "Okay, now remove your blindfold." I slowly untie the fabric and it falls to the ground. I've never gasped so loudly.

"Oh my god. No way!" I smile so brightly that it's blinding."

"Yes, way. Do you like it?"

"Like it? I love it!"

"Choose whichever one you want."

"Really?!" I almost yell.

I jump on Joe and he holds me while I'm hugging him incredibly tight. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

He sets me back down on the ground and chuckles. He took me to a cat shelter. I'm finally getting my cat. I run in like a kid in a candy store and go to the front desk. "I WANT A CAT."

"Jesus Christ calm down," Joe tells me.

"I'm sorry, I'm just excited!" I yell.

He sighs and talks to the woman at the front desk for me. "The crazy cat lady wants a cat and she's a little excited about it."

She laughs at my antics before calling over a co-worker. "This is Nina. She'll help you out."

"Follow me," Nina says, and the two of us through a door. When I walk in I see dozens of cats in small kennels. Just one cute little fur baby after another. I just want to adopt them all. Hold them all and be covered in them. Give me these cats.

"I want all of them."

"No." Joe stops the idea in its tracks.

"Are you looking for anything specific in a cat? A kitten? A Siberian? Maybe a more playful baby?" Nina asks as I browse.

"I know this is a long shot but do you have any Scottish Folds? I've always dreamed of owning one."

"You know what? It may be your lucky day. We received a litter of Scottish Fold kittens two days ago."

"I called ahead to see if they had any. I knew you'd freak out." Joe adds. He remembered how much I loved them. God, I love this man. Why can't he be mine?