I Have a Voice

Chapter 8

I Have a Voice

Another school day went by for Molly. Throughout the day, she noticed a lot of students who were preparing for the talent show in a few days. While Molly herself, didn't plan to participate, she was happy for her fellow students. As the school day came to an end, Molly returned to her room, thinking about the talent show.

"The students sure are excited about the talent show, aren't they, Scratch?" Molly asked her ghost friend.

"Of course they are, and so am I! This talent show is going to be great!" Scratch exclaimed, much to Molly's surprise.

"Really? I thought you hated these kind of events."

"I do, but just think about it, Moll! There's always someone who would have their dreams shattered from being terrible, and that would be perfect for my misery numbers!" Scratch explained, only wanting to impress the Ghost Council.

At that moment, Molly heard knocking on her door. At first, she thought it was one of her family members, but was surprised to hear Libby's voice instead.

"Molly, it's Libby! I'm sorry for coming over unannounced, but it's an emergency! Can I please come in?"

"Uh, just a minute!" Molly called out before turning to Scratch. "Quick, hide!"

With that, Scratch turned invisible so Libby wouldn't see him. Now that Scratch was invisible, Molly opened the door, letting Libby in her room.

"Hi, Libby! What's wrong? You seem to be nervous about something." Molly said, noticing that Libby looked stressed out about something.

"Molly, I just made the biggest mistake of my life!" Libby began to panic. "You know about the school talent show, right? Well, I was going to sign up to help out backstage, but I accidentally signed up on the wrong list in pen! Now, I have to perform in the talent show, but I don't have a talent! What am I going to do?"

"Whoa! Just relax!" Molly tried to calm Libby down. "I'm sure you can think of something! Now, let's think! What are you good at?"

Libby took a moment to think before she replied, "Well, I guess I can, uh, sing?"

At that moment, Molly's eyes widened in joy. "You can sing! Libby, we've known each other for 7 years! How have I not known this? You've got to let me hear it!"

Molly sat down on her bed, waiting patiently to hear Libby sing. She could only imagine how beautiful Libby's singing voice is. She had no doubt that Libby had the singing voice of an angel.

After giving a look of hesitation, Libby decided to sing for Molly. She cleared her throat before she began to sing.

"I have a voice! Hear my battlecry!" Libby's singing voice sounded terrible to Molly. She watched in shock as she was forced to listen to the rest of Libby's agonizing singing voice. "The spotlights blind me and my fears confine me!"

Before Libby could continue her song, she noticed that Molly stared at her with wide eyes, still processing what she just heard.

"Molly, why are you looking at me like that?" Libby stared at Molly, confused.

While Molly stared at Libby in silence, Scratch simply laughed at her poor performance, knowing that she was going to do terrible at the talent show.

"Oh no! You hate it!" Libby pulled her turtleneck over her face to hide her shame.

No! No! No!" Molly rushed over to Libby. "That's not it! Um, to be honest, I thought it was, um, awesome!"

As Molly said that, Libby showed her face once more. "Really? You liked it?"