Milly

Chapter 9

Milly

For the last couple of weeks, Molly has struggled to keep Scratch a secret from Libby. Every day, Libby got more suspicious of Scratch. Whenever she would hang out with Molly, she would always hear her talking to someone, even though no one is there.

It got harder and harder for Molly to keep Scratch a secret. The day soon came to an end when Molly returned home from all the lies she told Libby. Molly sat silently at the table, where she was working on a puzzle with Scratch.

"Aw, I hate lying to Libby! She's my best friend, Scratch! She should know about you! I'm getting stress hives from all the lies!" Molly showed Scratch her hives, causing him to scream.

"Molly, don't you see that the more people know about me, the less scary I am? And I'll be some kind of friendly ghost!"

"But I like friendly ghosts!" Molly argued.

"Well, the Ghost Council doesn't!" Scratch yelled as he used his ghost powers to levitate the puzzle pieces in the air. "If I don't keep my scares up, they will send me to the Flow of Failed Phantoms forever!"

That was when Molly was left with a sad look on her face. Scratch noticed this and sighed before he tried to cheer her up.

"Look, I know that you and Libby are close, but we need to keep me a secret from her. If you can't do that, maybe it would be for the best if you stop being friends with Libby and find a new best friend." Scratch suggested before Molly glared at him in anger.

"NO!" Molly slammed her hands on the table, startling Scratch. Upon noticing her frightened Scratch was, Molly's angered expression softened. "Sorry. I-"

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that." Scratch realized his mistake. "I know you don't want to lose Libby."

Molly shook her head. "Of course I don't! She's loving and she's thoughtful! I can't bear to see her go!"

Scratch then stared at Molly, confused. "Wait, what did you just call Libby?"

"Uh, that's not important!" Molly blushed, not wanting to reveal her crush on Libby. She soon slumped down in her chair, sad at the idea of losing Libby. "I really do want to keep your secret, but I made a promise to Libby too. I can't keep lying to her and risk losing her as a friend! I just can't lose her!"

It was at that moment when Molly sobbed softly before Scratch noticed a tiny ghost floating around her. Upon realizing what it was, Scratch flew towards it as he tried to shoo it away.

"Hey! Get out of here!" Scratch yelled as the ghost flew away.

"Wh-What was that?" Molly asked, noticing the ghost.

"That was a sobgoblin, Molly! They are ghosts that feed on sadness and despair, so we don't want them around here!" Scratch explained. "It seems that you are really upset about this, so why don't we just keep our minds off Libby for awhile and we can figure this out in the morning?"

With a sigh, Molly agreed before she walked up to her room. Later that night, Molly was laying down on her bed, eyes wide open. She wasn't able to get any sleep as she was worrying about her friendship with Libby. After all the lies she told, Molly knew that Libby was suspicious of her. Every passing minute, Molly got more desperate to think of a way save her friendship with Libby. It wasn't long before Molly thought of an idea, so she immediately got out of bed and put her plan into action.

The next morning, Scratch woke up with a yawn before floating out of his dollhouse. The ghost looked around and was surprised that Molly's room was a mess with paper scattered everywhere. He looked down on the floor to see a drawing of Molly and Libby with a broken heart between them. Scratch was so distracted by the drawing, he didn't notice Molly behind him.