Hannukah

Chapter 12

Hannukah

It had been a couple of months since Molly and Libby managed to escape from Jinx on Halloween night. Ever since that night, they hadn't heard anything from Jinx or the Ghost Council. Once they were sure they were safe, they decided to relax for the next couple of months.

Before long, it was winter in Brighton. To celebrate Hannukah this year, Leah decided to invite Molly and her family over to Book Marks the Spot. The McGees got comfortable as Leah started to make snacks for them.

"We really appreciate you inviting us over for Hannukah, Leah!" Sharon smiled.

"Oh, don't mention it, Sharon! Libby and I are happy to have you and your family over!" Leah replied before she got ready to make some snacks.

"I just hope we won't be much of a bother. None of us are too familiar with your Hannukah tradition." Pete admitted.

"Don't worry, Dad! I have done my fair share of research on Hannukah! Like, uh-" Molly took out her phone before looking up information on the holiday. "It unfolds over 8 subsequent night!"

"Gee! You sure are knowledgeable about the holiday, Molly!" Libby said with an amused smile.

"Okay! So, maybe I don't know everything about Hannukah, but one thing I do know is that it is also called, The Festival of-"

Before Molly could finish her sentence, all of the lights suddenly turned off, leaving everyone in pitch black darkness.

"Lights?" Molly finished her sentence, now realizing what was going on.

"Might want to double check that." Darryl spoke up.

At that moment, everyone looked outside to see that they weren't the only ones who lost power. It appeared that everyone around them suffered a blackout.

"Looks like the whole city is out." Sharon commented.

Leah soon turned on a flashlight so everyone can see. "Not to worry! I'd never be caught without a generator during a midwest winter!"

Ready to turn the power back on, Leah led everyone outside, where she attempted to activate the generator. Unfortunately, the generator didn't work as well as she hoped it would.

"Of course I forgot to stock up on fuel." Leah sighed. "Oh well. Looks like we've got enough juice to last us an hour!"

Once the generator activated, everyone returned to the bookshop to enjoy the rest of the holiday. Everyone was excited to celebrate Hannukah with Libby and her mom, with the exception of Scratch, who only agreed to stay to eat the snacks Leah made.

As Scratch was busy eating, Libby thought now would be the perfect time for her to at least make an effort to become friends with Scratch. While things didn't start off so great between them, Libby knew it would make Molly happy to see her and Scratch become friends as well. At that moment, Libby approached Scratch, ready to start a conversation with him.

"What do you want? Can't you see I'm eating?" Scratch said, showing he doesn't want to talk to Libby.

Despite how rude Scratch, was being, Libby still made an attempt to be friendly. "Um, how is the food Mom made?"

"I'll admit, they are pretty good! Especially the hash brown!" Scratch commented.

"Actually, that is a latke! It is a Jewish cuisine that is traditionally made for Hannukah, and-"

"Yeah, I don't care what it's called." Scratch interrupted Libby. "What are you still doing here? I'm not here to socialize."

Libby soon let out a frustrated sigh. "Okay, I've tried!"