AN ENCOUNTER (3)

MAYA POV

Three days in London and I've been given the chance to explore this great city. A crumbled-up list of bars and shops are clasped in my hands as I enter the first bus of the day. With the Olympic park being so close to central London, the time spent on transport is insanely short, giving me the opportunity to take advantage of this city.

Camden was the first place I explored, the first spot on my greater adventure. The brown flooded canals separated the streets lined with individual, unique shops. My credit card tucked into my phone case; I made my way towards the first shop that stood out to me. Of course, shoes would be the first thing to catch my eye. My Olympic running shoes have already been scuffed and damaged from my training, and my other running shoes are almost non-existent at this point. You'd think that because my life is running, that I would at least have good shoes for it.

The first row of shoes I see are all a clear off-brand of Nike, the tick either being too small or just the wrong shape. The next row were filled with again off-brand shoes (vans), it's surprising how they are getting away with this so easily. But then again, there were so many pairs of shoes here that I liked and especially for that price! 20 minutes later and I had bought two pairs of shoes, both casual sneakers.

Wandering through the next two streets, I found myself at the epicentre of the food market. This was heaven for anyone's nose, but maybe not mine. The unhealthy smell teasing me and reminding me that I should stay away. My quick fix for food is solved by a small bag of cucumber and a green smoothie... bland but definitely healthy. A needed distraction for sure.

As if my prayers are answered, I am suddenly surrounded by a few girls asking me for pictures and for me to sign things. If only my dad was here, he'd be loving this! I put on my biggest and brightest smile and tried to engage with everyone surrounding me like vultures. It was weird being recognised, it's not something I want. The flashing lights and high-pitched yelling felt like it was attacking my skin as if it was acid, too overwhelming. It was short-lived and I am very thankful for that.

The low murmur of tourists moving around me suddenly fell quiet as a loud voice screeched in Italian. Following the eyes of others, I found a tall tanned-skin girl defiantly looking up to what I would guess is her father. Sensing the quietness, her eyes scan the environment we share and for a split second we make eye contact. The hustle and bustle of the area filled my senses as I broke out of a trance, realising that this woman was nowhere in sight.

CARINA POV
To think my dad would actually want to go shopping and sight-seeing with me was a surprise to say the least. He woke up at the crack of dawn and threw a map of London literally at my face, not the nicest way of waking up for sure. It seems like it's a good day for him, he's happy but I know that this is just a sign of him becoming manic. While he's in this stage, I think I'll just have to take full advantage of it.

I didn't want to go to the classic areas of London which are always packed with tourists. Who am I kidding? Every part of London is packed full of tourists and visitors with their bright umbrellas herding buses full of people to each monument. Camden was on the top of my list; I liked the idea of going to different one-off shops and trying the different food vans dotted around the roads. A selfie of the sign was on the top of the list until I saw the blonde beauty walking aimlessly towards a shoe shop. A shop that I was suddenly interested in. From behind a snapped a picture including the famous Camden sign, keeping the focus away from the real reason the picture was taken. After a while, she disappeared out of my eyeline and I directed my dad towards the food specific roads.

"Perche sprecare i tuoi soldi? Why would you waste money?" My dad asks when we eventually stop outside of some classic touristy shops in the centre. He could see my eyeing up some magnets that I would want to send to my mama and brother.

"Sarebbe un bel regalo. It would be a nice gift" I retorted while picking the magnets off of the wall and walking towards the till to pay.

He left me afterwards and continued down the street towards a shop he apparently had an interest in. With the magnets secured I followed him to what looked like a small bakery, I joined him scanning the shelves of different baked goods. Screams and shouts took my attention away from the shop front and towards a crowd of girls my age, they were circling something like vultures. I could hear my father murmur something behind me but my interest piqued as I saw Maya Bishop bright smile. She looked over in my direction and I spun around to my dad, taking my focus away and hoping that I'd merge into the crowds. Not that she'd recognise me anyway.

My dad soon rounded me as he directed himself somewhere new again, the street where the blonde presence still lingered.

"Dobbiamo tornare indietro. We need to go back" my dad says already speeding away from me.

"Perché? Why?" I shouted after him.

"Ho una riunione. I have a meeting" he spoke condescendingly with an eye roll

"Perché devo andare? Why do I need to go?" I inquired still following behind him.

"Non mi fido che tu sia qui da solo! I don't trust you to be here alone!" he suddenly shouts, the lively sounds around us suddenly coming to a halt. Deciding to not cause a pointless argument, I hide my disappointment and walk in silence next to him. Throughout the conversation, I felt some eyes boring into me. A glimpse of blue confirmed that it was the person I didn't want to see something so personal, even if she is a stranger. It's pretty weird how I'm seeking approval from a random person who doesn't know who I am!

MAYA POV

Soon after those hazel eyes left mine, she chased after her father. The complimenting sounds of the road filled the air, the world seemingly forgetting that anything ever interrupted the normalcy of the touristy area. Shaking the thoughts out of my head, I checked my phone for the time. My dad had booked an interview with some people on a tv show.

-

Two hours later and I've been thrown onto a set with two presenters talking about the daily news until it's finally the segment surrounding me.

"And now we're joined by the runner who won gold for America at the age of 18, that must have been quite the responsibility to uphold" The guy introduces me, two cameras instantly focus on my face, I'm able to hide my fidgeting hands.

"There's nothing like running for your country, when I run, I think it's best I ignore the responsibility" I state with a smile.

"How did it feel running? This must be a dream come true" the woman begins to ask with a big smile gracing her face covered with heavy makeup.

"I don't know if I'd call it a childhood dream, I still am a kid. I love running, I'm sure anyone in my family would say that about me. I guess I can get into a sort of meditative state when I run which probably helps with the speed and distance I run at" I reply, still putting on the big fake smile which has become my signature.

"How young were you when you started running? Who is your biggest inspiration in life?" The questions keep coming.