An official meeting and beginning

CARINA POV
Is Déjà vu really a thing? An experience I've never experienced before. A blonde beauty I recognise from somewhere, who am I kidding. I know exactly from where, but I never thought I'd see her again. After she fully retired from the Olympics and left high school, all the chatrooms and fan accounts went dead. There was no information on her, and that was the final straw before I chose to concentrate on my actual own life. But here it seems life brought me back to her. Closer to her than I ever had been before. She's sat at the bar, whiskey in front of her which has been untouched for some time. I can see her sitting in a statue-like way as if she's protecting herself from something dangerous behind her, looking around I can't see the danger. There's multiple drinking and talking loudly but nothing dangerous so to speak. Her blonde hair is just past her shoulders in lazy curls, resting on her black jacket.

I'm sat just a meter away from her, just far enough away to watch her without anyone really noticing. I'm sat here with Teddy and Amelia, just a normal night out after a stressful day in the hospital. Amelia replaced Gabriella a year ago, although Gabriella isn't dead and is still in my life, it's not as frequent. She stayed in Milan after our residency and is now the head of OB over there. Nothing every came of us throughout all our years, we slept with each other multiple times, but it was boring. It was too comfortable. Anyway, Amelia and Teddy were discussing a patient they shared who had miraculously survived some big trauma that I stayed away from. Although I'm a double-boarded surgeon in Trauma and in Obstetrician gynecology, I tend to only stay on one side. Unless the trauma needs me, I'll happily stay in my office or help women.

The head of a department was a big achievement that I got to share with the two women above and my brother. He came to Grey Sloan roughly 4 years before I did, he's well-versed in how America and the hospital works. He's a general surgeon, my papa is proud of him. "He helps save lives" is something that my papa likes to breach, much to my dismay he doesn't say such basic things to me. But I've learnt over the years that I need to be proud of who I am, and I shouldn't care about his opinions, it was hard but now I couldn't care less.

On the flipside, watching this blonde anxiously placing her hands next to the glass has me wondering what she is stressing about. Is she stressed about someone's opinion, is someone here to hurt her? Excusing myself from the girls, I find myself walking over to her place at the bar. Ready to accompany her and maybe help her loosen up more than the untouched whiskey currently is.

MAYA POV

4-months of isolation isn't surprising. After my dad died, I got lost. I felt like Mason probably feels if he's alive. I haven't seen him since, but I hope he is alive and happy wherever he is. He deserves to live happily without my dad's strictness. My mom has popped up every now and then, she appears when she wants to fix everything and anything. She always leaves with the same outcome, both of us having a four-day long argument about how she left me and about how she didn't mean to... I'm yet to understand her point. But we are civil, I guess I don't really want another parent randomly dying.

After high school I found myself buying a cabin in outskirts of Seattle and an apartment which is located roughly 12 minutes away from the station where I ended up working. Firefighting wasn't exactly on the list of jobs at the career fairs I almost never attended at school, it was always a "stupid" job. But I found myself training to be one, it's where I met my first adult friend. Andy, she hated me at first which is generally the usual reaction from most people. I'd heard her family had some sort of legacy station, but she honestly sucked at a lot of things, I think helping her was one of the main reasons we got so friendly.

After training was complete, I was assigned to 19 with Andy. It was strange for the most part, we were both probies, but Andy was safe from any hazing. It was Andy's house before training even took place. Her father was the captain, an excellent captain for the most part. He was strict but he built a family for all of us, a family that we all had been missing. At the station Gibson and Miller were the first to come up and speak to me. Jack (Gibson) of course had been sleeping with Andy and jumped the gun thinking they could get married. It didn't happen, I ended up sleeping with Gibson for a while after, something Andy doesn't know and something I don't really regret. Dean (Miller) tended to stick more with Gibson and Vic. Vic and Travis have always been close and always finding a way to put humor into almost all topics. Despite Vic's parents' owning a restaurant, the skills weren't passed down. She's not allowed to cook at work, I'm not that great at cooking so I can't complain.

Time jump four years to the present day, all of these relationships have been strained or non-existent. Our old Captain died because I let him, and I became captain before the legacy child could get her hands on it. I didn't mean anything negative by pushing forward with my dreams and inspirations. I wanted to be chief by the time I'm 30 and Captain is a great step up. But sadly, taking the job started the downfall of everyone I considered family or just a friend at work. The apartment I shared with Andy was deserted and having the team follow the orders I spouted out, was considered an award or something. I'm aware that I may have overstepped, but if I am qualified enough, why wouldn't I use the opportunity presented to me. Jack and Andy have tended to hate me the most, Dean and Ben have been the kindest of the group. They're both acted impartial for the most part. Vic and Travis on the other hand have become gossipers, symbolising the mean girls from school that you'd do anything to avoid... or slap.

The current work conditions encouraged me enough to go to the popular bar across from the hospital. A hotspot for any first responder, and for some reason I was confident I wouldn't see anyone from my crew. But I was wrong, Andy and Gibson were talking away in a corner visible to the door I'd walked in. I'd made eye contact with Andy, the only reason I really stayed here. I don't want her to think I'd cower away because of her, even if I'm currently trying to work out how to disappear into the floor below me.

At the bar I ordered a whiskey like normal, I left it untouched as my brain took over. It was a Wednesday, a day where I chose to sleep with one lucky individual and never call them again. It's self-regulation, like a hot lamp for a lizard. But today, it felt wrong to do so. I didn't want to end up in someone's bed and regret it the next day, maybe that's because everyone I know is here. I've ever slept with them or worked with them. Except for one person... one person right behind me.

"Sorry" a voice startles me as I'm slightly pushed off of my bar stool. I resist the urge to roll my eyes at the stranger.

"N-no it's okay" I say once I see the perpetrator, the most beautiful woman in the world. But why do I feel like I've seen her face before.

"Can I buy you a drink? Another whiskey?" she asks once she drops her heavy but expensive bag on the bar top. The room suddenly feels a lot lighter; I don't want to disappear anymore.

"Why not, what's your name?" I ask, the simple introductory words are exchanged until our drinks come forward. I'm impressed, a double-boarded OB who works at Grey-Sloan but is from Italy. She seemed impressed too, maybe my night is cracking up to be something better than it had been.

With names introduced it seemed as if time stopped but sped forward at the same time. You could imagine the bar quietening down and the firefighters leaving, you could imagine how much of a trance I was in while I was sitting opposite this woman. This gorgeous and intelligent woman... who I don't want to sleep with. Well, I do but I don't want to ruin this.

CARINA POV
"Are you not going to invite me home?" I tease as we leave the bar together. The air around us is crisp, a slight shiver down the spine before getting used to this evening frost. Cars are passing by becoming a singular reminder of how unusual the stillness is. The stillness that I've felt all night while talking to the blonde beauty that took over my brain all those years ago.

"I-uh... no. I like you and whatever this is... or whatever this could be. I don't want to ruin it." She awkwardly speaks, her eyes fixed to the crack in the concrete below us. It makes me smile, the nervousness had long disappeared throughout the night, seeing it again shows vulnerability. Something I never saw during her Olympics.

"That's okay Bella, could you give me your number?" I ask and she nods quickly, I almost wince at the thought of her hurting her neck. She hastily hands her phone to me, not quite understanding that I wanted her number and not to give mine. My smile only widens when she realises her mistake and tries to take her phone back but fails as I start to type my number in.

"Can you let me know when you get home?" I ask while smiling wide. She smiles back but the atmosphere changes when I kiss her cheek, an innocent action with a big reaction. Her cheeks are a bright pink, the colour of painted cartoon pigs. She nods fast again before she quickly turns around and walks as fast as possible. She's something special.