The Consequence of Accusations

CARINA POV
We've been inseparable to the point you'd think we'd sown our skin together. Every moment where we weren't at work, we spent it together. Maya had asked me to be her girlfriend which was bittersweet, she was so embarrassed. She didn't know if there was a particular protocol to asking someone out, so she stuttered her way through, the best part was that I thought we were already girlfriends.

Every night, we've found ourselves cuddled up on her couch in front of a fire. The small fireplace is apparently one of her prized possessions; always lit when we're at home. Can I call her apartment home? It's only been 4 months. Four months of no contact with her team, four months of her meeting my friends but I haven't met any of hers. We all know why I haven't met them. But something was going to change, a forgotten phone was going to force me to meet them.

-

"Hi, is Captain Maya Bishop here?" I asked the man at the front desk; I knew who he was. He was Jack, an ex-fling of Maya and he seems to be overly confident.

"No, she is currently on a call. Is there something I can help you with?" he asks with a smirk on his face, he puffs out his chest and rounds the desk to stand in front of me.

"Nothing for you to do, I just have the captain's phone and I'd like to give it back to her" I reply, thinking I've already said to much.

"Ah, another one fling for our slutty captain. You are the hottest one to come by in a long time, normally it's other firefighters but I've never seen you before. Are you a firefighter?" He asks, even to civilians he is more than comfortable to say degrading things about his captain.

"How can you say that about your captain? I'm not a firefighter and I am done with this conversation; is there somewhere I can sit and wait for her to come back?" I ask her, Jack looked slightly a taken back by me shutting down the conversation. He obviously doesn't understand social cues. He points to a chair behind the desk and despite every cell in my body saying I shouldn't sit there, I do.

"The thing with our captain is that she's a snake. I don't know if you understand that because you're foreign or not. She stole the job she has, and we don't like her. But hey, if we don't say anything to her, we won't get transferred. You're one of her slutty quests of the month and she won't call you back, so I don't need to worry you'd say anything, right?" He finishes his last question while slowly putting his hand on my knee. With quick instincts, I stand and powerfully hit him in his shin. His groan of pain only makes me smile.

"I may not be American, but I don't need to be talked down to. Since she's captain, people obviously thought she was good enough and insinuating that I am a slut is probably the worst thing you could say. And to think that I wouldn't have the common decency to tell your captain everything you just told me, you're wrong. I'm sure she'll be delighted to hear what you'd told me" I say in a threatening tone, and I can almost see her face start to become paler and paler.

"Oh hi, what are you doing here?" Maya says as she walks over, the team following slowly behind her.

"You forgot your phone, so I thought I'd bring it to you. But you were on call, and I got to hear all of the delightful things your so-called lieutenant called you. Can we go into your office?" I ask, feigning innocence as I see Jack scowl in the corner of my eye. I'm aware that the rest of the team had stood around us, listening into our conversation with interest.

"Of course," Maya answers me and escorts me into her bare office.

"So, what happened?" she carefully asks as she calmly closes her door.

MAYA POV

"He called me slutty, and you a slutty quest. Fuck, alright." I say as I walk towards my office door and open it hastily.

"Gibson, you're on bathroom duty for the foreseeable future until you learn to respect me and the people who come into this station. You are very close to being transferred to 23." I threaten and he smirks slightly.

"Oh Gibson, you know what. That small disrespect, that small smile. You can smile your way to 23, I'm calling to transfer now. I want you gone by the time my guest leaves" I say, and I don't think I've ever seen him look so scared and vulnerable. His shoulders were hung low as he walked to the lockers. I close my door and turn to see the beauty I can now call my girlfriend, sitting in my place at the desk.

"That was very hot, Bella. I like it when you use your captain voice" I almost want to thank the high heavens and even Jack for Carina's reaction. It took seconds for me to walk over to my chair and pull her into my arms, the close contact was what I needed. I needed to kiss her skin and I wanted to leave marks, show Jack that she's mine despite him already leaving the station.

-

The make out in my office didn't last as long as I would have hoped, hell I wish it didn't just stop at the point of a hot and heavy kiss but duty calls. Carina had an emergency C-section which made her run out of the station, not before another passionate kiss was initialised between us. I found myself walking into the beanery for lunch, craving food which is pretty unusual when I'm at work.

"Why is Jack leaving?" Andy asks as I make my way to the fridge.

"He disrespected me in front of a walk-in and also called her a slutty quest of mine and a foreigner who doesn't understand simple English. So, he will be working at Station 23 for the foreseeable future, I did offer him bathroom duty but apparently it wasn't good enough." I state absentmindedly as I work through the different shelves in the kitchen, nothing looking particularly appetising.

"Wow" Andy says, she looked shocked at what Jack had said and not so shocked by my reaction.

"I hope you all know that I wasn't joking about transferring anyone. Yes, you are listening better on the scenes but it's still clear there's no respect. Any step out of line, you will be transferred. I am sick of being treated like shit by the people I considered family." I confidently say and again all of the team quickly nod their heads and start to talk to each other again.

CARINA POV

"So, when is Firefighter Barbie going to allow this threesome to happen?" Amelia questions in all of her outspoken confidence.

"I don't care if she said yes, it's not going to happen. She's mine" I reply as if I'm guarding Maya from the evil that is Amelia.

"It just has to be one night and it's not like you're super serious right?" She questions, what is it with today and being assuming things about my relationship.

"Look I'm not in the mood for the teasing and questioning of my relationship. I went to the station earlier and one of the firefighters called Maya a slut and me a slutty quest." I mutter as I start to stand up and walk away.

"Which firefighter?" Amelia asks and I can't help but be surprised.

"Why does it matter?" I ask her, entertaining her question with a question.

"Well, you know, all of these firefighters have to be checked for injuries and you'd be surprised by how many of those are head injuries. If you tell me which one, I can take my time testing him whenever he is here. I can tell the other department heads to test him for stupid things that don't necessarily need to be tested for." She says with a wicked look on her face, I can't help but copy the expression back.

"Jack Gibson, he was a part of 19 but now he will be at 23" Is all I share before walking back to my office.