A Concussion Will Do It

CARINA POV
Do you ever just wish a moment had passed, a few seconds which would usually feel like... seconds but in that moment if feels like hours. I guess you could say that a moment in our ER could only be described as that. The few seconds included my hot girlfriend, a douche-canoe of a man who is also a firefighter, and a clueless intern. You could say that I wasn't there on time, I'd arrived to see security separating the two firefighters while the intern was being directed towards a hospital bed with blood dripping down his head. I'd heard a slew of swear words from my girlfriend and the target of her words, were none other than Jack Gibson. Jack, the firefighter who had been transferred due to his behaviour towards the woman I love.

"Blondie does look quite hot when she's angry, you should piss her off in bed" Amelia's voice sparks not only confusion but a level of petty jealousy that I didn't realise existed.

"Blondie over there, is cussing out the man I told you about. Yes, she looks hot, but I'd prefer if you didn't make your comments in this moment" I reply, already agitated without having any context for the situation.

"So, I can call her hot in a different moment to now?" Amelia teasingly asks, earning a groan of pure annoyance from me. I don't have time to answer before she walks towards Jack, hopefully she remembers our conversation, just days ago.

"Deluca, why are you here?" Bailey asked me as I stood by the nurse's desk. There really was no reason for me to be here, at least not for the sake of my job.

"No one knows from the team, but I'm seeing Maya. And if you didn't hear, Maya and Jack caused that intern quite the injury. I'm wondering if I should talk to her" I tell her, and Bailey keeps an unreadable face before tending to her own husband who is receiving a health check.

------ 10 minutes ago

MAYA POV

"You know I've heard rumours that your latest conquest has slept with half of the hospital, apparently, she's not partial to men or women. I have a chance, if only she wasn't on her period the other day" Jack remarks as he sits on the bed next to me, in the ER. We've all come back from a fire and need the usual health check. 23 had come with us to both the fire and now Grey Sloan.

"Jack, I honestly couldn't care less what you think. I also don't care about her past, you know my past" I mutter in her direction, I know the other firefighters are listening in. Once one firefighter knows something, all of the firefighters will know the exact same thing in the same breath.

"So, you don't care about her being a slut, she's probably fucked people while you've been seeing her" He teases with a proud smirk on her face. Normally I wouldn't rise up to this, normally I'd consider Jack as someone I'd had mutual respect for... 'normally' no longer exists. I didn't really feel my hand move, I didn't feel my self use all of my force to punch the man next to me. Hell, I didn't even mentally realise that I'd punched the fucker across the nose. But what I did realise, was how his nose had flared, how the pain I'd caused hadn't affected him but myself.

"You're lucky you are a weak woman. If you were a man, you'd be on the floor. If you were a man, your daddy would have been proud. How would he feel that you gave up running and is fucking sluts?" He continues to tease, and my body just starts to move. My arms and hands keep moving until they can't no longer, until they're restrained, and I'm moved away. An action that forces me to look around, to see the eyes on us. A pair of eyes that are shocked and confused, the eye belonging to Carina.

------ present time

"Bambina what happened?" Carina asked me as soon as I was escorted into a private room away from the open plan hell, which is the usual ER room.

"He said things that he shouldn't have said, I didn't even realise I had done something until I was moved away" I mutter, feeling embarrassed by what she'd seen and what I'd done. An instantaneous regretful situation.

"Can I see your hand?" She asks carefully as she moves my hand off of my lap, she grazes her fingertips lightly across my hand to feel my joints and watch for any pain. Surprisingly, I feel numb. If I am in pain, my body is surely taking it's time to tell me.

"Are you hurt anywhere? Have you had your lungs tested?" She questions me and I can proudly answer no to the first and yes to the second.

"Can we talk about what happened, when I come over tonight?" She asks with a small smile on her face, her pink scrubs making her almost irresistible to me. A smile graces my lips as I pull her closer, the blinds are closed so I have no reason to hide. I pull her into a searing kiss, my hand on her face only encourages her to kiss me back with the same energy.

"I heard what you said the other day before you fell asleep on my lap, I love you too" I whisper against her ear as I stand in front of her, I kiss her next to her ear before leaving the room.

-

Work finished; no other fights had occurred. The team had left me alone and it felt good. This whole thing of having no friends was becoming natural. Having no friends didn't prevent me from spending time with Carina, it enforced quite the opposite. I'd found myself running home and having a shower before Carina had arrived, I'd found myself looking up recipes to cook but having no motivation to actually use said recipes.

"So let me tell you everything that happened, I know you're dying to hear it all" I start.

"I wouldn't say I'd actually die from it" Carina jokes with a teasing smirk on her face.

"Jack mentioned that he'd learnt something about you. About how you'd slept with some people at the hospital, he'd called you a slut because of it. You know we've both got a past with sleeping around, there's nothing wrong with it. Anyway, he ended up saying that my dad would be disappointed that I'm dating a slut" I angrily mutter, she tries to soothe me by stroking my arm, but it doesn't really help.

"What is with him and the word slut? Your dad would have been proud of you no matter what you did, you're at the top of your fire station, something that dick will never achieve. He's jealous" Carina says as she brings my whole body closer to hers so that we can cuddle.

"I will never see you as a slut, you are my person. I'm sorry he said those things about you. With my dad it's hard, he might be right about not being proud, but I also have to remind myself that what Jack is saying, it isn't a true statement." I say in quite a mature way which surprises me.

"Exactly, he shouldn't have the power to upset you. I did hear something very positive earlier, something you might enjoy" She hints, and I can't help but look and feel interested.

"So, I'll let you in on a little secret. After I saw you at the station I went to work. I may have complained to Amelia about our little situation with Jack and she may have hinted that she'd take longer doing his tests. Essentially, Amelia took her time, but she ended up really not needing to. Your lovely muscles and good aim caused Jack to have a grade 2 concussion and a broken thumb. In other words, he is benched for a while." Carina shares with her own enthusiasm.

"So, he can't firefight for like a month? Fuck me, these muscles really are great" I joke as I kiss my biceps, Carina only shakes her head before cuddling into me.