13. Sunrise

"Do you still want to go back to your room?" Murtasim asked her.

Meerab shook her head then her eyes gleamed with excitement as she remembered something. "You still need to look for your name in my henna."

"Hmmm", Murtasim sat across her on his bed and took her hands in his lap looking over at the beautiful deep red henna contrasting his wife's creamy complexion.

"My name or just the initials?" He asked looking at Meerab.

"Both." She replied giggling at the thought that the henna artist hadn't even written his initials. Meerab just hoped that he didn't guess where his name was from her gaze as she couldn't help looking at the spot on her palm where his name was concealed within the design.

"Pata hain Meerab? Even though I didn't fancy the henna staining my hands, I still helped you wash it up. And I made full use of the opportunity to look for my name."
He slightly caressed a spot on her left palm below her pinky before kissing there. "It's here, Murtasim. Clever of you to get it written in Urdu so that it moulds into the design perfectly. And..." He turned her right hand around so that the back of the hand was visible. His finger was now on a spot near her her wrist, on her right forearm. "Here's a small meem (م)." He brushed his lips against that spot too.

His discovery of an initial made Meerab gasp. The presence of the letter was unknown to her.

Murtasim laughed at her surprise. "I wanted to make things easier for myself Meri Jaan."

Murtasim's eyes darkened as his gaze shifted to her lips then to her eyes. "May I?" He asked, his voice husky with desire.

"What if someone questioned my absence?" Meerab asked him.
"No one will. I've already talked to Maa."
"What?" Meerab was shocked.
"Koi gunah tou nahi kar rahe hum Meerab."
"I know but still..."
"Do you not want it?"
"I never said that."
"Then please don't worry about anything else. You're mine now and no one in this world can dare to talk about Khan Murtasim Khan's wife. So Mrs. Khan, may I?" Murtasim's face was inches away from hers, their breaths mingling, their hearts beating in synch as he asked her permission again.

This time Meerab nodded and he immediately closed the distance between them kissing her softly at first. Her lips immediately responded to his and the kiss became heated.

She felt his tongue enter her mouth and she reciprocated by sliding her own tongue over it. Their tongues danced and dueled for supremacy as they kissed passionately.

---

Meerab's eyes opened at the distinct sound of Adhan. She got up with a start when she realised that she was sleeping on Murtasim's bed.

Looking towards her right side where he lay in a peaceful slumber she felt herself blushing as she remembered about last night. She quickly planted a kiss on his cheek before leaving to go back to her room.

Meerab, wide awake after offering Fajar prayers, felt drawn to the balcony as the first rays of dawn began to break through the night sky. Eager to witness the beauty of the sunrise, she stepped outside, feeling the coolness of the morning air on her skin.

Standing on the balcony, Meerab was in awe as she watched the sky transform before her eyes. Darkness gave way to a gentle palette of soft pastel colors, as if nature itself was gently awakening from its slumber.

The golden orb of the sun peeked over the horizon, casting a warm glow that illuminated the world around her. The sky, painted with hues of pink, orange, and purple, created a breathtaking spectacle that stretched as far as her eyes could see.

As Meerab soaked in the beauty of the sunrise, she couldn't help but feel a sense of peace and hope wash over her. The world seemed full of possibilities, and she was grateful for this serene moment that nature had bestowed upon her.

Taking a deep breath, Meerab savored the stillness and tranquility of the morning. She knew that this simple act of witnessing the sunrise had the power to rejuvenate her spirit and set a positive tone for the day ahead.

With a grateful heart, Meerab remained on the balcony a little while longer, allowing the beauty of the sunrise to imprint itself on her soul. And as the sun climbed higher in the sky, she carried its warmth and radiance with her, ready to embrace the day that awaited her.

The breakfast table buzzed with activity as family members gathered to start their day. Meerab took her usual seat at the dining table, her eyes scanning the room in search of Murtasim. However, he was nowhere to be seen.

Curiosity piqued, Meerab contemplated asking Maa Begum, her mother-in-law, about Murtasim's whereabouts. Just as she was about to inquire, Maa Begum spoke up, addressing the unspoken question in Meerab's mind.

"Murtasim subah hi nikal gaya tha gao ke liye. Akhir Maliko ne jo naya karnama kiya hai usse nimtana tou hai na bas issi silsilay me gaya hai."

A mixture of surprise and understanding washed over Meerab. She wondered if he had thought about her father's punishment or not.

As the family enjoyed their meal, Meerab held Murtasim in her thoughts, wishing him safety from the Maliks and looking forward to reuniting with him when he returned. The bustling breakfast table became a reminder of the strong familial bonds that anchored their lives, infusing their days with warmth and joy.

---

Murtasim's first destination was the police station, where he had a well-established rapport with the Inspector. He intended to build a strong case against the Maliks, seeking justice for the grave wrongdoing they had committed.

"Murtasim Khan mei ap ki bat samajh raha ," the Inspector acknowledged, after attentively listening to the entire story. "Maliko ne waqayi bohat bara jurm kiya hai lekin unhe qaid karna itna asan nahi hoga. Bat court tak ja sakti hai aur ho sakta hai ke Anwar Khan ki beti ko gawahi bhi deni paray." 

"Chahe kuch bhi hojaye inspector sahab, mujhy Malik aur uss ka beta, dono andar chahye. Mujhy court ki bhi parwah nahi hai. Aur Anwar ko bhi uss ke hisse ki saza dilwani hai. Ap bas case aagay barhaye, saboot mei khud pesh kardunga, " Murtasim stated firmly, his voice commanding respect.

"Alright, Khan. Your work will be done." the Inspector complied with Murtasim's request.

"Good," Murtasim said with determination before leaving for the village.

Upon his arrival, Murtasim immediately instructed Bakhtu to call the members of the Panchayat. He needed to discuss the matter with them as well.

After he conveyed the entire story, one of the elder members spoke up, "Aesa tou humare han hazar salon me nahi huwa jesa Anwar Khan ne aur Maliko ne kya hai. Acha hai ke police hi inn mamlat ko dekh le, agar Panchayat faisla legi tou log baghawat ka shikar hojayengy."

Murtasim nodded, acknowledging the wisdom in the elder's words, and dismissed the Panchayat. Although he had harbored the desire to personally exact revenge upon all three of them, he understood the limitations. How dare they attempt to snatch Meerab away from him? The thought of her brought a smile to his face. He wondered if she missed him as well. He longed to return, but he anticipated some sort of reaction from the Maliks once the police arrived at their residence. He couldn't risk putting his family in harm's way.

With a mix of determination and longing, Murtasim patiently waited for the next steps in the pursuit of justice, keeping his Meerab in his thoughts, and hoping that soon their lives would be free from the clutches of the Maliks' treachery.

********************************

There may or may not be a twist coming ahead in the story.
Please do comment your feedback and also let me know if you can guess what lies ahead.