17. Maa Begum Finds Out

Murtasim was about to exit the Haveli when he checked his pockets for his phone. Not finding it there, he remembered keeping it down in Meerab's room so he rushed back inside and quickly ascended the stairs.

Once in her room, he looked around and found it placed on the dresser, right where he had kept it. He was about to retrieve it and leave but just then a pale Meerab stepped out of the bathroom.

"What are you doing here?" she asked him, her voice weak from being sick.

"I forgot my phone but what happened to you?" He asked in shock. She had been upset when he'd left but she wasn't unwell. He couldn't understand what had suddenly happened to her.

"Nothing much. I was nauseous since morning. It's not a big deal," she muttered as she sat on the bed brushing off his concerns.

He sat across her on the bed and took her hand in his. "How is it not a big deal hmm?"

"I have been experiencing it since the past few days. It just passes some time after I wake up," she replied.

"You didn't think it was important to tell anyone that you were sick?" he asked being genuinely concerned and slightly angry at her for not telling him.

"It's probably nothing," she muttered trying to dissuade him from worrying too much.

"We need to get you checked from a doctor. I'm waiting for you downstairs. Get there in fifteen minutes. No excuses," he ordered her, saying the last two words when she opened her mouth to argue.

"I'm not coming. You are probably overreacting," she said while crossing her arms over her chest.

"I didn't want it to come to this but looks like I'll have to carry you to the car if you aren't going to listen to me," he said as he attempted to pick her into his arms.

"Okay fine. You go, I'm coming. But if it's nothing serious, you are taking me to the village with you," she said setting a condition.

"Fine. Now hurry up," he said as he left the room.

He was waiting for Meerab in the foyer when Maa Begum came there.

"Beta ab tak niklay nahi gao ke liye?" she asked him and Murtasim shook his head.

"Sab kheryat hai?" Maa Begum asked a little worriedly.

"Meerab ki tabyat kharab hai, pehle doctor ke pas le ja raha hu issi liye," he replied.

"Kya huwa hai meri bachi ko, wo theek tou hai? Hai kahan Meerab?" Maa Begum started panicking at the thought of Meerab being sick.

"Kuch zyada nahi huwa hai, Maa. Sirf nausea aur vomiting hai. I'm sure she'll be fine," Murtasim said trying to calm her down.

Maa Begum's panicked expression turned into a serious one as her instincts kicked in. "Tou akhir tum ne apni manmani kar li han?"

"Kya matlab Maa?" Murtasim was clearly confused.

"Mana kiya tha na mei ne rukhsati se pehle Meerab ke pas jaane ko?" Maa Begum asked sternly.

Murtasim looked at his feet feeling embarrassed. "Kuch ghalat tou nahi kia hai, Maa. Aur ye bat abhi kaha se aa gayi?"

"Meerab ki halat ke zimmadar tum ho, Murtasim," Maa Begum replied quietly trying to make him understand.

Murtasim's face slightly paled as the realisation dawned on him. "She can't be..." he tried to say.

"There's a very high chance, Murtasim. Mei ne issi liye mana kia tha," Maa Begum said angrily.

"Ji. Meerab se kuch nahi kahiyega it's my fault," he said as his gaze travelled back to his feet.

Before Maa Begum could respond, Meerab had arrived there. "Kya baatein ho rahi hain?" she asked noticing the subdued look on Murtasim's face and angered expression on Maa Begum's face.

"Kuch nahi beta. Tum kher se jao. Murtasim iss ka khayal rakhna aur isse akela matt chorna, acha? Iss ki tabyat kharab hai," she advised him, emphasising on "tabyat kharab hai" to make him understand.

Murtasim just nodded and gestured Meerab to follow him outside.

Five minutes into the drive, Meerab decided to break the awkward silence that rested between them.

"You look upset and worried. Gao me kuch huwa hai kya?" she asked concerned for him.

"Aesa kuch nahi hai," he said trying to give her a small smile.

Meerab reached out her right hand to his left one, which rested idle on his thigh as he easily drove with one hand, and gently took it in her own.

Murtasim smiled at her gesture and gave her hand a small squeeze.

"Phir kya huwa hai?" she persisted.

Murtasim let out a sigh before muttering in almost a whisper. "Maa found out."

"What?" she asked him confused what he was talking about.

"Maa found out that we..." he paused unsure of what to say.

"We what?"

"We've been intimate." He finished the sentence quietly.

********************************

The story is actually wrapping up. The main reason that I'm updating small parts is that I kind of don't want it to end. You all tell me what you want.

Should I wrap the whole thing up in the next chapter which will be the last one before Epilogue? Also it'll take at least two to three weeks for me to update.

Or should I continue writing small parts every few days? And hopefully finish this story within a month (including the Epilogue)