16. Loss

"Beta tumhe Meerab se itni bari bat nahi chupani chahye," Maa Begum said as they sat alone for breakfast, Meerab being still asleep due to medications.

A few weeks had passed since the incident at the mall. Malik Mukhtar was in jail and some of the Malik's men had joined with the Khans. However, most of them had scattered around and were looking for revenge due to their loyalty to the Maliks.

"How can I tell her Maa?" He said.

"Murtasim shayad tum bhool rahe ho that Anwar wasn't present for most of her life anyway. And she knows what he did. It's not gonna be as bad as you feel," Maa Begum reasoned.

"Kya huwa hai unhe?" Meerab asked as she entered the dining room, her questioning gaze resting on Murtasim.

"He was found dead in one of the Malik warehouses," Murtasim said a little straightforwardly.

A gasp left Meerab's mouth before she departed from the dining room. Once back in her room, she buried her face into her pillow unsure of how to react. Her father had never been there for her and when he had suddenly decided to show up, he had done so as part of a deal with the enemies, not because he loved her. The thought that disturbed her the most was that she was left alone by both her parents. Even if Baba had never showed up, he had not forgotten her either. But feeling sad for his demise was making her feel guilty because of what he had done. She didn't know if she should cry it out or put up a brave face as if she was happy that he had met his fate.

"Meerab beta," Maa Begum called out to her and she felt the bed dip slightly near her feet indicating that she had sat there.

"Maa Begum," she said sitting up unsure of what else to say.

"Idhar ao bacha," Maa Begum said affectionately guiding her head towards her lap where she lay, finding the comfort of the mother who had raised her.

"Theek ho beta?" she asked as her fingers affectionately ran through her hair.

"Pata nahi," was her only answer.

"Tum akeli nahi ho beta, Anwar aur Nadia na sahi tou mei tou hu na? Tumhari maa hmm?" Maa Begum said guessing her feelings.

"Jee bilkul," she muttered.

"Pehli bar kisi saas ko bahu ko aese pyar karte huwe dekha hai," Murtasim's voice caused Meerab to open her eyes to look at him.

"Han tou? Are you jealous?" she challenged.

"Bachpan me jalta tha tum se jab bhi tum meri goad me hoti thi," Maa Begum chuckled fondly at the memory.

"Aur ab?" she asked her gaze fixed on Murtasim.

"I do love you dear wife but that does not mean that you are going to get away with lying down in my mother's lap," he said softly.

"Kya karoge?" She challenged.

He mouthed a "you'll see" with a smirk before turning to his mother. "Fasal lag gayi hai tou ek hafte ke liye gao ja raha hu. Meerab ka khayal rakhiye ga."

With that he left the room. Meerab quickly got up from the bed and ran after him.

"Mujhy bhi sath le jao," she said.

"Maa akeli ho jayengi un ke pas raho. Wese bhi you seemed very comfortable on her lap, " he said, his tone becoming slightly sarcastic at the last sentence.

"Please?"

"No Meerab."

"Fine. Just don't get hurt okay?" She said with moist eyes knowing that the Malik's men had scattered and were looking for revenge.

"I won't," he said as he softly kissed her on the forehead and turned to leave.

"Call me okay? Khuda Hafiz," she said.

"I will. Khuda Hafiz Jaan, take care."

"You too."

Meerab quietly went back to her room which was now empty. She buried her face back in the pillow. She felt so empty right now. Her whole life she'd just lost people. Her mother at childbirth, her father when he distanced himself, her Taya Jan when his diseases overpowered him, her sister-like friend Marium who got married in her absence and now her father all over again because he died. And now because of the mess her father had created, she had the blood of two men on her hands and Murtasim's life was in danger. She would rather die than loose him too.

Her head hurt and she felt nauseated thinking about everything. All she wanted was to go to sleep and wake up to a normal life but that was impossible now. May be this was her destiny and she was lucky that her fate was intertwined with someone like Murtasim.

In order to distract herself from all the pain, she decided to focus on all the happy memories of her life. Most of them revolved around Murtasim. But it wasn't working, she thought as she ran to the bathroom with a sudden urge to throw up.

********************************

What do you all think about this update?

Please comment and vote 🫶