15. BRAVERY

Meerab sat on a bench inside the shoe store, trying on the heels she had admired from the display. She eagerly awaited Marium's return to get her opinion on the shoes. Suddenly, she felt something poking her back, and before she could react, a gruff voice growled behind her, "Chup chaap mere sath chalo Bibi, warna sari goliyan tumhare andar dal dunga." The man pressed the gun further into her back, and fear overwhelmed her as she let out a scared whimper.

Reluctantly getting up, still wearing the heels, Meerab noticed that the workers seemed to have vanished. As she began walking, the sound of the heels clicking irritated her captor. He demanded she take them off and put on a different pair, and she complied quickly, slipping her feet back into her own shoes.

As they stepped out of the store, Meerab's heart sank as she spotted Marium nearby. She resisted the urge to stare, not wanting her sister-in-law to be drawn into this dangerous situation, especially given that Marium had a baby to care for.

"Tou Murtasim ne ek hoor jesi larki ki qadar na ki aur usse akele ghar se bahir janay de diya han? Agar mei hota uss ki jaga tou saat (7) pardon me bhi tumhe akele nikalne na deta," Malik Zubair sneered as he appeared in front of her, taunting her about the carelessness of her husband.

Meerab kept silent, her mind racing for a way out. Her eyes darted around, looking for any sign of help - Bakhtu, Murtasim, or perhaps the police. But hope seemed distant, and tears threatened to spill. Determined not to show weakness, she fought to keep her composure.

A glimmer of hope appeared when Meerab noticed Murtasim approaching from behind Zubair. His gestures signaled her to stay quiet, and her heart leapt. Murtasim's grip tightened around Zubair, a gun pointed at his head. "Apne bande se kaho ke meri biwi ko chhorr de warna mei aj hi tumhari jan lelunga," he warned, his voice steely.

Her captor, however, responded swiftly, releasing her but seizing her neck instead and aiming the gun to her head now, holding her as a shield. "Murtasim Khan, agar tum ne mujhy marne ki koshish ki tou tum apni biwi se bhi hath dhou bethoge," Malik Zubair snarled.

With her hands now free, Meerab extracted a small knife from her pocket, concealing it within her hand. She planned to strike him in the stomach. Yet, as the tension escalated, she struggled to maintain consciousness due to the chokehold. Summoning her last ounce of strength, she drove the knife into what she thought was his stomach, and his grip faltered. In the ensuing struggle, he fired a shot that hit Murtasim's shoulder causing him to free Malik Zubair.

As Malik Zubair regained his composure and lunged for his firearm, a surge of bravery coursed through Meerab. With unwavering determination, she seized the opportunity and clutched her captor's gun that had fallen to the ground by her feet. In a swift and decisive motion, she directed the weapon at Malik Zubair and squeezed the trigger before succumbing to unconsciousness.

The events unfolded in a blur, and Meerab lost consciousness, unaware of the consequences of her actions and the fate of those around her.

Gradually, Meerab sensed a gentle tapping against her cheek, rousing her from her unconscious state. "Meerab, can you hear me? Please, try to wake up if you can," a concerned voice implored. Slowly, her eyes fluttered open, revealing her husband's anxious visage. A profound sense of relief washed over her as she realized he was safe, despite having been shot.

"Murtasim," her voice emerged as a faint whisper, her throat dry and her lips parched. With a tender gesture, he helped her to a partial sitting position, offering a glass of water to quench her thirst. She eagerly sipped from the glass, her need for hydration a stark reminder of the ordeal she had endured earlier.

As her gaze met his, she noticed that one of his arms was cradled in a sling. Her heart sank at the sight, realizing that he had been injured because of her. Guilt weighed heavily on her thoughts.