Chapter12: Barou Shoei

Arc1: Chapter12

Ouch.

Isagi made a face, and Kunigami put a hand over his face. Even Reo had a dumbstruck look on his face.

Chigiri realized that he said something awkward. He coughed into his hand with a dust of pink coating his cheeks.

Restart!

Another round of fighting for the goal. The ball laid at Isagi's feet and he passed it to Nagi, and Nagi passed it back to Isagi, again.

Isagi observed first, without making a move.

Chigiri, Kunigami, and Reo... without a doubt, they are strong! Their offense and defense is balanced at a super high level. A team with no weakness and yet...

Isagi thought back to his experience.

After he fell back to the 2 vs 2 with Nagi, they fought against Barou and Igaguri. Baruo was a formidable opponent. But he realized that there was something wrong with Barou's mental state.

It was different from the usual 'King' Barou. He wasn't domineering and bulldozing as usual. No, to be exact, he was still domineering and bulldozing, but it was weaker. His usual energy and presence weren't there.

His mind wasn't there in the match.

As if he was seeing someone who wasn't there, he would snap his head at random places with frightened startledness.

It wasn't the Barou who would believe in his place as the 'King'. It wasn't the Barou who was afraid of nothing. It wasn't the Barou he knew at all.

In addition to Barou's strangeness, Igaguri kept pulling at his feet. They won the match easier than anyone could have ever guessed.

At the end of the match, he chose Barou. Even though there was clearly something wrong with him, anyone with the right mind will choose Barou over Igaguri.

Besides, he didn't want to see such a talent getting buried.

To his frustration, due to not facing a strong opponent enough to oppress them, Isagi hadn't evolved.

That's why, when faced with Reo's provocation in the bathhouse, he jumped at that chance.

Isagi wanted to become better.

Far better than he was right now.

After all, his goal was to be the best striker in the world.

... I'm shaking with excitement to see what facing these guys will bring me. I'm full of anticipation. Bring it on Kunigami, Chigiri, Reo!

"Let's go!"

Isagi said, his eyes burning with determination and hunger.

"I'm always ready."

Nagi had barely broken a sweat at this point. The one to blame for the lost goal was completely Barou. It was due to his mistake. He wanted to prove to everyone, to Leon, that he wasn't useless.

He charged ahead, despite knowing he couldn't do that. He refused to pass to Isagi. His stupidity was what cost them a goal.

Nagi side-eyed Barou.

Until the crestfallen King had accepted his loss and mended his mistake, he was logically and practically, very useless.

He was sure Isagi understood that too.