Chapter 2

Hawthorn woke in the late afternoon, displeased to find his bed empty. He'd prefer to wake and find the warmth of Seraphina's body to snuggle into. Her absence was not unusual, though. Seraphina always woke before him. Usually, he would find her soaking in the bath, but as he sleepily ambled through the bedroom, he remembered she wanted to go shopping alone today.

It was close to Christmas, and Hawthorn figured she wanted to purchase something without him knowing. The idea of it filled him with amusement and happiness. Their path to this moment hadn't been easy, and there were times when Hawthorn wondered if she was mulling over which knife to attack him with. But so far, everything was calm. Seph accepted they couldn't change the past and decided to move forward for an easier future between them.

As he emerged from the bathroom, Hawthorn surmised that Seraphina's mood had improved since they obtained the consulate. Their life would always be at the sanctum, but on occasions, they would visit London. Seraphina's childhood home was a mixture of good and bad. She'd lived there in happiness until Hawthorn's father carried out a deadly coup. Now, she claimed it was nothing more than a mausoleum of ghosts and haunting memories. Hawthorn thought that regular trips to the consulate would be ideal for Seraphina.

The top level of the building was their private apartment, so Seraphina could go there whenever she liked, regardless of whether someone had claimed sanctuary. Hawthorn wanted to give Seraphina a sense of freedom and independence that she probably thought he wouldn't grant her. Their relationship had evolved, and now there was a certain level of trust between them. Seph still threatened to kill Hawthorn, but he knew she was only teasing.

Dressed, Hawthorn was ready to start another working day. Kohen emerged from the sitting room as Hawthorn made his way to the study.

"Good afternoon, your majesty. The chef has asked if you will dine in the office or dining room this afternoon."

"The office is fine unless Seraphina has returned."

Hawthorn glanced at his watch after seeing the uneasiness on Kohen's face.

"It's five pm. Surely she's had enough shopping for the day. What time did she leave?"

"I believe the cloud cover enabled her to leave just after noon."

It was guaranteed that she'd return to the shop that they'd visited yesterday. She could spend a few hours walking around in the safety of the false light of the shop. Then it might be darker outside to venture beyond the doors.

Hawthorn glanced at the window, seeing the dark clouds looming. As much as they were still learning things about each other, Hawthorn knew Seraphina would return if a storm was closing in. Sun showers and light rain weren't concerning for her, but a snowstorm that could cause problems was.

"Are you sure she's not somewhere else in this building?"

"The security staff always notify me when someone walks through the door. No one has passed through since she left."

A heavy sigh escaped as Hawthorn moved to his office.

"Find Orin and bring him to my office." Hawthorn snapped.

Kohen nodded and scuttled off. As he passed the servant who was waiting for instruction, Kohen quickly told him to deliver the meal to the king's office and to not loiter or fuss. The king was in a volatile mood. His queen was missing, and Kohen could hear his thoughts even though mind reading was not an ability vampires possessed.

Hawthorn thought that Seraphina had taken off again.

Pulling out his phone, Kohen called Orin as he searched through the rooms. Orin answered, but Kohen heard the ringing at the end of the building in the kitchen.

As he rushed into the room, Kohen ended the call.

"Urgent, now. Bad mood," he said, puffing from the effort.

Orin grimaced as he glanced at the maid. Upending the glass of blood, he passed it to her with gratitude and followed Kohen to what sounded like an uplifting and happy meeting with the king.

"Is this about the lack of a queen under this roof?"

"It is."

"This is what he gets when he gives the wild one freedom. He gives an inch. She takes a mile."

"Hush up," Kohen hissed under his breath.

The pair entered the room as the servant carefully laid out the king's breakfast at the side table. Hawthorn stood at the window with his hands in his pockets, watching the storm roll in.

"She would not stay out in this weather," Hawthorn murmured. "Did she show signs that were similar to the first time that she ran from me?"

Kohen frowned at the servant, ordering him to leave with a silent flick of his head. The vampire quickly fled the room, fearing the conversation and how dark it had turned.

"No. She said they were going to walk to the shops again."

"So, she took her guard with her this time as well? Is Reina in on it like Bram was?"

"If you recall, Bram tried to make her stay."

Hawthorn huffed with amusement. Turning, he moved to the table and sat down. Hunger was burning, and the scent of blood called to him.

"That's what he said to appease us. Read between the lines and see that he wanted her, but was either rebuked or didn't have the guts to try something. Bram had no intention of ever telling us where Seraphina was hiding, and the only reason she came out from the shadows was to kill me. Something that I'm sure he wanted like she did, but would have preferred to stay hidden."

Taking a sip, Hawthorn savoured the coppery liquid and formed his thoughts.

"Can we tap into any of the security cameras around these streets?"

"I will see what we can do." Orin offered. "But can I point out that Seraphina might not have walked away willingly?"

Hawthorn lowered the glass to the table, looking at Orin with intrigue.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, consider how angry Wesley was at the immunity and that you even had your lawyer read it while he was in the room. He knows that you've got a lot of dirt on him. He's been forced to give you something he probably thinks you don't deserve. Many more people would know about what's going on after we returned his assassin in the crate."

"So, you're telling me the Prime Minister is acting like a spoiled child?"

"I'm saying that maybe we shouldn't jump to conclusions. It would be effortless for him to spy on us, considering you've gone out with Seraphina every day since we've been here."

"How true." Hawthorn hummed. "Alright, Orin. I will take your suggestion and not assume the worst. Begin the search of the streets. Perhaps we shall find a clue as to where Seraphina is."