Chapter 18

Kohen offered a folder to Hawthorn, giving a vague smile.

"You smile as if you know something interesting."

"This is the medical report for the General that you asked for."

"I thought you said it was unattainable without raising flags."

"It can depend on who is on duty at whatever hospital the deceased is taken to. I put the feelers out, and it turns out that we have a citizen with reasonable clearance in the hospital that they took the General to. Unfortunately, she does not have a medical degree and is, in fact, a part of the administration. The only thing she could offer was that they listed his passing as natural causes. I asked if it was possible for a doctor who was no longer practising to assist with the passing and make it seem natural. Her response was that anyone with the right knowledge could do it. She added that if the victim had health issues, it would make it even easier."

"So, given Benjamin's vague suggestion, and the information given here, we can assume that he assisted."

"We can. There is an addendum to this."

Kohen returned to the door and pushed it back. Guards brought in several boxes, placing them along the wall near the bookcase. Hawthorn looked at them with curiosity.

The boxes were plain. As the guards put the boxes down, the flaps opened slightly, showing that they'd once been sealed. The only thing that stood out were the delivery stickers.

"We have cleared them for viewing, although Orin checked them when the delivery arrived."

Hawthorn stood and moved to the nearest box, gently lifting back the flaps. It was papers and folders. He checked the next one and saw the same thing.

"What is this?"

"When I showed the Prime Minister to the door this morning, he said that he had something for us and that it would be delivered in the afternoon. I was curious, and he obliged. What you see here is all the information that was collected from General Harvey's house. It would seem that our benevolent and new prime minister spent a few hours there, collecting the information to ensure that it didn't fall into the wrong hands."

Kohen pressed his lips tight as he recalled the interaction.

"I try not to be cynical or judgemental, but I feared that this was a setup."

"Yes," Hawthorn hummed dryly. "That crossed my mind, too."

"So, I informed the prime minister that your office has a camera, and it records both vision and sound. I also stated that before we enter a place, we carry out surveillance from several angles. He would have been seen on our cameras, even if the team didn't see it."

"And what did our new friend have to say to that?"

"He merely shrugged and said that we could record whatever we wanted in the privacy of our own premises and that he figured we would watch Harvey, anyway. Apparently, he has nothing to hide from us. Then he stated he checked because he believed it was ideal and that what he found was clearly dangerous to be exposed to the world. There is nowhere safer than in our hands because it is about us. Then he said he would continue searching, starting with Jack's office."

Hawthorn walked alongside the boxes, gazing down into the gap between the side flaps.

"Well, I suppose something has to be done with the information. You may search through it. Have Alfie help you, and if you think some things might be time-sensitive, then have Orin select some guards to assist. Use the meeting room. The table is certainly large enough to spread out."