Chapter 5

Kohen opened the door, giving Hawthorn a nod when their eyes met. Moving quickly, Hawthorn followed his assistant to the lobby. Guards surrounded the men that delivered Seraphina and Reina.

"This way," Kohen murmured.

Guiding Hawthorn to the meeting room, he held the door open. Reina was on her feet, bowing to the king as he entered. Her face was covered in bruises. Hawthorn's heart lurched, and as much as he tried to be concerned for Reina's welfare, Hawthorn's interest was elsewhere.

Seraphina turned from the window, looking at Hawthorn with a lot of sadness. He could see that her clothes were dirty, just like Reina's. The white shirt showed a lot more than the long black skirt. Hawthorn could see marks on Seraphina's legs, and when he hugged her, he felt her crumble. He could feel her pain.

Opening her shirt, Hawthorn's heart tightened, and his stomach churned. She was covered in bruises. He imagined that Reina's body might be the same, but if Jack's anger was directed at Seraphina, then she might have received all the attention.

"I am beyond sorry that he did this to you."

"You didn't do it," she whispered.

"Didn't I? Tell me this isn't retribution."

Hawthorn reached to her jaw, carefully smoothing his hand along the skin. Seraphina smiled, enjoying the affection.

"I will make him suffer for this."

"It's fine."

"You say that, but what if you're pregnant?"

"You already know that I'm not. Don't blow this out of proportion. I'm alive. They didn't hurt me too much, and they didn't do anything else."

"That merely buys them another day of life. If they'd assaulted you, I would have gutted them personally."

Hawthorn buttoned up Seraphina's shirt before kissing her softly.

"I am glad that you are home."

She smiled.

"You thought I ran again, didn't you?"

With a grin, Hawthorn nodded.

"Silly boy. I haven't killed you yet."

"Of course, how foolish that I did not remember that."

Taking her hands, Hawthorn turned them over and looked at the broken nails. Dirt was caked underneath what remained, and blood had dried on the nail walls. It was hard to see her fingers, making the anger swell in Hawthorn's mind.

"I am ok."

"I know you are. There is hope in my mind that I can settle my anger."

"It's not working."

Hawthorn smiled as he looked up at her.

"You know me so well. I'll have the nurse visit you to check the marks and wounds. Freshen up, have the maids keep you company until I find you."

"I can't bathe on my own now?"

"You can if that is what you want. My concern is that alone you will finally submit to the emotions, and if the maids are there, then they could give you a hug."

Seraphina rolled her eyes.

"Sure thing, you big softie."

"Only for you, my love."

Seraphina walked out of the meeting room. As she ascended the stairs, maids followed.

"Kohen, please ask Orin to deliver Jack and Maria to the lobby so they may leave with the other humans. Also, ask the nurse to check Seraphina."

He nodded, leaving Hawthorn with Reina.

"My lord," she said firmly as he turned to her. "I have failed in my duty to protect the queen, and I accept whatever punishment you deem fit."

"Reina, I know it is your job to protect Seraphina, but I must accept that Jack Wesley would have done this regardless of your presence. Are you hurt?"

"Nothing that a little time won't heal."

"What happened?"

"We were walking along Brompton Road. There was a group of ordinary and unnoteworthy humans approaching. As we moved through the crowd, a group of men joined the group. They stopped and took hold of us. They warned us not to alert anyone to what was happening as they had guns with specialised bullets. The other humans kept moving, oblivious to what was going on. At that moment, they injected me with something. The other human did the same to the queen. I felt drowsy, but the human propped me up and told me to walk. I struggled and tried to resist, but the effect of the substance was fast. They walked us to the end of the block, where a van was waiting. They restrained us once we were inside the van. I don't recall the journey, but when the injection wore off, we were in what appeared to be a warehouse."

"And the journey back?"

"They blindfolded us, but the journey was short and I think we weren't taken far away."

Hawthorn nodded.

"What about the time between?"

"Others were waiting, though I don't know the exact figure as only a few emerged from the office area. They took the queen to the office,"

Reina paused, wiping away the tears.

"I'm sorry, my lord. I mean not to be unprofessional and submit to my emotions."

"Perhaps it shows how much you care. Take your time, Reina."

She nodded.

"I could hear so many awful things. I tried to react but was subdued with force. They didn't like it when I broke through their rope."

Her wrists were red and angry from being tied up, and Reina rubbed them absentmindedly. She lifted her shirt out from the waistband of her pants, showing the bruising.

"Their efforts to subdue me."

Hawthorn watched with anguish as Reina turned.

"When I knocked one guard out, they added to my restraints. I kept going until they threatened to pull out the queen's fangs. Approximately five minutes later, the queen returned to the seat next to me."

"Alright. I'm sure that once our guests leave, Orin will want to talk to you. Write as much as you can remember, then see the nurse before you rest."

"Of course."

"Seraphina won't be going anywhere for a while, and neither will you. I order you to rest and recover. Is that clear?"

"Yes, my lord."

They brought Jack and Maria down the stairs. At that moment, Hawthorn walked out of the meeting room. Jack looked at the guard as she emerged from the room, noticing she looked far worse than he expected.

Maria stared in horror at the mottled face that glared at them.

"Did you have something to do with that?" she whispered.

When she got nothing from her husband, Maria scowled.

"You are better than this, Jack. What on Earth were you thinking when you organised this?"

He gulped hard, realising that when the abductors asked if he wanted them roughed up, he should have said no rather than a little bit. Clearly, he was ignored, and they'd done more than just a little bit.

They continued down the stairs. This was the moment of truth. Now on the tiled area rather than the carpeted stairs, their bloody demise would be easier to clean. He silently prayed that Hawthorn would remain true to his word and let them leave this place unharmed.

Jack turned to Hawthorn, who watched in silence. Orin pushed them to the door where the abductors were. Out on the street, Jack turned back to see the dominating glare of an angry king as the door closed.

He sighed, relieved that they'd walked out ofthe place unharmed. Jack expected Hawthorn would not keep his word after seeingthe state of his wife and guard.