Chapter 10

Hawthorn noticed that Seraphina appeared distracted. Her eyes lifted to his, and Hawthorn raised his eyebrows with a silent question. Seraphina sighed, rolling her eyes.

"Elena said that my temperature has risen."

"Is that right?"

Seraphina bit her bottom lip as she smiled. Hawthorn opened the buttons of her dress, looking at the bruising.

"And yet, this is where we are."

"This doesn't stop us."

Hawthorn hummed a soft chuckle as he closed the buttons.

"Not so long ago, you said that you didn't want to bring children into the world when we were at war with the humans. I'm about to make it rain blood in London, and you're in here flaunting your high temperatures at me with scandalous ideas on your mind."

"I guess things have changed."

"So, I can return the cleavers to the kitchen?"

Seraphina smiled as she slid off the desk. Hawthorn was close enough that the movement caused both of them grief.

"Maybe," she whispered against his lips.

The kiss began softly at first, but the heavy emotions that had been hanging around them and causing issues turned it into a passionate embrace. Hawthorn had backed off, treating Seraphina as if she was made of glass. He insisted she let her body repair before they continued with the baby making plans. Barely any time had passed, and Seraphina still had bruising, but Hawthorn could tell that she'd had enough of his coddling.

Seraphina's hand moved over the back of Hawthorn's head. She wasn't sure of the haircut, but it had grown on her. At first, she thought it was odd, but now she felt it suited him. Of course, Seraphina would not admit that for a long time, she missed the old style.

Pulling away from his arms, Seraphina smiled sweetly and walked to the door. Turning back, she saw Hawthorn pick up his phone and walk towards her.

This part of their new life together was progressing. Seraphina knew that there were two options in her life. Stay or leave. Because the days were changing and their lives together were improving, Seraphina knew what her choice would always be.

Hawthorn glanced around the empty corridor before entering his bedroom. He was not accustomed to a life of servants loitering in the shadows. Being king was his father's bloodthirsty dream, not his. Hawthorn would not wish it away, though. It had many perks that he was not prepared to let go of.

Hanging the do not disturb sign on the door, Hawthorn closed it and turned the lock. When he faced the room, Hawthorn's lips tightened, and a mischievous smile filled his face. Seraphina was not in the room.

Light in his steps, Hawthorn entered the dressing room. Seraphina stood before a low dresser as she removed the jewellery pieces. Tauntingly slow, she teased him by looking in the mirror and giving him a challenging smile.

Sliding in behind Seraphina was one of many places Hawthorn liked to be. He could undress her, teasingly kiss her neck, grip the curve of her waist, or hug her. The options seemed endless.

Reaching out, Hawthorn brushed his fingers over the curve of her shoulder. He felt conflicted about the thoughts in his head, the past few days, and the suffering she'd endured. Seraphina instigated this. He was taking her lead, but that didn't alter the anguish.

His eyes lifted to Seraphina's as she looked at him in the mirror. She said nothing, but the hunger was obvious.

Slowly, he traced his fingers over her dress as Seraphina turned to face him. Undoing the buttons, Hawthorn peeled the front panels open, revealing the divine body in lacy underwear. The dress fell to their feet, forgotten within seconds.

"Kneel before your queen," Seraphina whispered teasingly.

"Oh?"

Hawthorn lowered to her lips as he began to undo her bra.

"I thought it was a king that should receive that treatment."

Seraphina pushed Hawthorn back with a finger against his sternum. She tilted her head and taunted him. Dressed only in panties, Seraphina had a king ready to give into her demands.

With a short and soft chuckle, Hawthorn removed everything but his shorts before dropping to his knees. After dragging the delicate lace down Seraphina's legs, Hawthorn pushed her back against the cabinet.

The game was just that—a game. Hawthorn craved everything about the wicked moves, the playful dance. Most of all, he wanted to see her enjoy their time together.

There was a part of Hawthorn that feared if Seraphina was unhappy that, she'd leave. She'd done it once, and Seraphina could easily do it again. Things were different now and Hawthorn aimed to ensure that Seraphina understood that. He hoped that if she was unhappy, Seraphina would tell him.

Seraphina's grip on the edge of the cabinet tightened as Hawthorn teased her again. She let out a soft moan as the sensations grew. Every time that tongue moved against her, Seraphina felt the sharp current shoot through her body. It never took Hawthorn long to elicit pleasure. The hot, wet flesh that circled, teased and taunted. Hawthorn could pull her apart and keep her tied to him with nothing more than a dedicated effort to extract mind-melting pleasure from her.

Hawthorn watched the erratic movements of Seraphina's chest. Her laboured breaths through the desperate moans were the best way to know how close she was. It was a tool to understand what spurred on her pleasure, what worked, and what could tip Seraphina over the edge. The last thing he wanted was to stop when Seraphina was about to orgasm.

Seraphina's head rolled back as her body shuddered. Her breath had hitched as her body rose to the peak, and when she let go, a groan escaped. Hawthorn thought there was nothing better than the euphoria at the peak. The way her body stilled for a moment as the pleasure rocketed throughout was like watching time stand still.

As he stood, Hawthorn dropped his shorts. Seraphina's head lifted as she enjoyed the soft kisses over her jaw. Wrapping her arms around Hawthorn's neck, Seraphina relished the warmth of his body. The intense pleasure still rattled her, and having him close was a perfect end to the incredible orgasm.

"Want more?"

Seraphina nodded, and Hawthorn reached between them. With a bit of adjustment, he pushed deep into Seraphina. Lifting her legs over his arms, Hawthorn held Seraphina against the dresser as the slow movements began. Leaning down, Hawthorn kissed her softly.

"If it gets too much, say something."

"You doubt me?"

"I know that you're addicted to pleasure, sometimes at the expense of your own body."

Seph half-heartedly rolled her eyes. She thought he was seconds away from pointing out the bruises.

"Yeah, alright. Now shut up and get on with it before you kill my vibe."

Hawthorn shook his head, amused and grinning. Her craziness was just another thing that he adored about her. If anything had happened to her, worse than what had already happened, Hawthorn would have seen to the plan rather than the guards. She was his world, and Jack tried to take her from him. Hawthorn vowed that it would not happen again. He would not risk Seraphina's life.