Chapter 9

Confused, the assistant stared for a few seconds before glancing at Alfie, who said nothing. Kohen had entered the king's office to tell Hawthorn that he'd attended to the missive and advise what responses they'd received so far. He was not expecting the king to flip on what he wanted, but Kohen knew that he should have. Hawthorn often flipped on his thoughts, making life interesting for the assistant.

"I'm sorry?"

"I've changed my mind. Alfie has a contact within Jack's cabinet. He sent a message about an imminent threat but unfortunately doesn't know what Jack is doing. We can assume that it is surveillance, but that would be negligent on our part, especially considering the source predicted it would be deadly. I'd much prefer to stand tall and proud to show that we are not bothered by Jack's threats. I also think that Jack needs to learn a lesson here. He needs to know that we're coming for him. This has to be fast, Kohen. I don't want to give him time to react and lash out at us."

"So, what are you proposing?"

"Notify our friends in New York that their king has a request. They are to enter the son's house and remove everything of value. They may sell any items they take as payment for their efforts. Warn them against keeping anything or creating a path that would link the authorities to the crime. The more they take, the more pleasing I will find it."

Alfie's eyebrows raised, but he remained silent. Hawthorn was angry, and this was about to go beyond anything they expected.

"I'd also like you to find our lovely little hacker friend and ask him to deplete the funds from the son's bank accounts. Find out what firm the son works for, check what ethics they have, and ensure that the son violates them in some way. Keep digging, Kohen. Anyone that is related to Jack or Maria is to be taken down. Strip them of everything. When you are done destroying their lives, kill them."

"Uh, straight away or sometime after?"

Hawthorn inhaled sharply as he thought about it.

"A short time after, I think. Let them have enough time to whine so that Jack hears about it. I'm sure you will know the right time, maybe just enough for the panic to set in and for Jack to realise that he messed with the wrong vampire. Then you can move onto the wife. Drain her bank account, remove those items that she's squirrelling away in her hidden storage unit, and empty the valuables from their house. Kill them and offload everything quickly. Hire someone if you desire. Just don't leave tracks."

"I always maintain worthy associations with criminals who know that I will kill them if they talk."

Hawthorn smiled.

"Truly wonderful. I want Jack to know that I'm not just coming for him, but I'm going to hunt anyone that is related to him. They will all die."

Hawthorn turned to Orin, who was standing at the doorway with shock on his face.

"Are you seriously taking this dark path?"

"Tell me, Orin, did you happen to see how many bruises Seraphina had on her body? Or perhaps you might have seen that they removed her fingernails."

Orin was stunned. He didn't know that and wondered why no one had said anything to him about it. Why did it take the king to tell him something like that?

"No, my lord," he murmured.

"And did you see how the largest bruise was on her stomach?"

Orin opened his mouth, but nothing came out. He shook his head. Not only did he not know what to say, but Orin thought Hawthorn was too calm. Seraphina had endured horrific torture, and Hawthorn spoke calmly.

When Orin looked at the king, he soon saw that the anger was being restrained. Hawthorn was actively trying to keep his temper subdued, which Orin knew was a mighty feat. If there was ever a moment that could turn Hawthorn into his father, this was it. The only way Hawthorn would come out the other end as the same vampire was if he remained calm.

"Which would indicate that they believed she might be pregnant and were trying to force a miscarriage. They did not do the same to Reina. Her bruises were scattered. It leads me to believe that Jack was watching us, and he told them that Seraphina might be pregnant and that they should direct any violence towards that area. He breathes today because we know Seraphina was not pregnant beforehand. That will not remain true for much longer. Jack will suffer, and I want him to know that his end is coming. What's happening with the abductors?"

"Within the next hour, someone will have either killed them or will do so."

"Good. The team you assigned to this mission, will you be moving them to other tasks, or are they free?"

"Uh, they will be free. Is there something that you want them to do?"

"Yes," Hawthorn smiled. "I want them to go after the families of the abductors. Same deal as Jack's family. The streets of London will be soaked in blood by the time this is over, and all that I want is for Jack to be standing on the sidewalk, knowing it was all his fault."

Hawthorn's eyes lifted to the door when he saw a slender figure appear.

"That is all, gentlemen."

They scurried out of the room, leaving Seraphina to close the door behind her.

"Are you really taking this path?"

"Would you expect any different?"

She smiled, crossing the room to Hawthorn. Slipping up onto the desk, Seraphina gripped the lapels of his jacket when Hawthorn stood between her legs.

"It's dark. I don't want you straying too far from the light."

"I'm sure you will always bring me back."

"Absolutely, and if you try to resist, I'll show you the Christmas present I bought for myself."

"Oh?"

Seraphina's smile grew into something dark and perverse.

"I replaced the carving knife you hid from me."

Hawthorn chuckled as he pulled Seraphina in for a hug. She had a wicked sense of humour, and he loved it.