Chapter 4

Kohen brought Jack into the study, where Hawthorn and Alfie were waiting. Begrudgingly, he bowed and sat on the offered seat.

"I will get straight to the point, Jack. We know that you have taken Seraphina and her guard, just like we know you are directly implicated in Nesrin's murder."

"Mere hearsay from a delusional king."

Hawthorn opened the folder and laid out the information so that Jack could see it was not hearsay.

"You ordered the murder of a member of the royal family. You also made an attempt on my life. Now you have the audacity to abduct the queen and an employee of the crown. This is where you and I will negotiate. You can continue to play hardball with me while keeping my wife and her guard a prisoner. That will cause this information and the other secrets we keep to be released to the public. Your alternative is to return Seraphina and Reina safe and sound. We will then call it even. At that point, you'd be a free man. No longer living under the weight of the information I hold, no longer expected to provide immunity."

Jack shook his head with amusement.

"You keep playing the game, you keep antagonising me, and you will regret it. Your precious queen and the guard are at a secret location, and the people holding them have strict instructions to kill both of them if I don't call them every hour. I don't know where they are. The information is in a sealed envelope in my office."

"But you can call them and demand that they deliver them here. The reality of it is that you don't want to, so that leaves me to question what you truly want from me. So, you have your platform, Jack. Tell me what you want."

"You, your kind, dead. Every day I have to hide how much destruction your so-called well-behaved citizens create in my country."

"I find that hard to believe," Hawthorn muttered. "If it was as widespread as you claim, then many would speak about us. You also fail to see that vampires have adapted to feed from bags. We do not kill humans anymore."

"That's not entirely true. We've got a stack of files for people who have been victims."

"Then you should have said something to me. I am a king that has control, but if I am in the dark, then what can I do about it?"

Jack stood with anger growing.

"I am not negotiating anything with you. I've told you what I want, and you can consider it a demand if that is what you desire. If you want to live, if you want your citizens to survive, then leave the country. When all of you are gone, I will send your wife and the guard to you."

"And where exactly do you expect us to go? We can't exactly get on a plane and fly to another country."

"Take the tunnel and go to Europe."

"Offloading us to France? Are they aware of your treachery, or do you expect we will continue to another country?"

Growling under his breath, Jack glowered at the king before turning to leave. The door opened, stopping Jack in his tracks.

Orin walked in and made a direct path to Hawthorn, lowering to whisper. Jack watched as the smile grew on Hawthorn's face.

"Excellent work, Orin. See that we heavily reward those involved for their wonderful efforts. Jack, you might want to sit back down. Orin has a special delivery for you."

Warily, he sat back down, turning when Orin walked through the door. He returned, dragging in a woman. Her arms were bound behind her back. She was dressed in a dressing gown, one that Jack recognised. The hessian bag was pulled from her head, and Jack looked at his frightened wife.

He'd suggested staying at the official residence for the holiday season, but Maria wanted to return to their home to prepare for their son's visit. It was clearly a mistake, but there was no changing her mind when Maria was determined.

Jack did not know how they got past the guards. That was an issue that clearly had to be fixed.

"Jack," she sobbed. "What's going on?"

"Yes, Jack. What is going on?" Hawthorn taunted.

"This is a low move, Hawthorn. Taking my wife,"

"Oh, I merely returned the gesture. After all, you started this by abducting my wife."

Hawthorn turned to the woman, smiling supremely.

"See, that's what's going on. Your husband abducted my wife, and I thought I would do the same for him."

Turning back, Hawthorn gave Jack a firm glare.

"My terms are simple. I want Seraphina and Reina back. You will deliver her here before midnight. Your wife will remain here until you do. If you fail me, your wife will enjoy my hospitality in ways that I have not experienced in such a long time. Are we clear here, Jack?"

"Crystal," he grunted.

"Good. Make the call, and you'd better hope Seraphina is in good health. Don't forget to ensure that her guard is delivered in such a way as well."

Jack pulled out his phone, glancing at Maria. She did not know about this part of his life, but after tonight, she would. This was going to take a lot of explaining.

"If I get your wife and the guard delivered, you'll let us walk out of here unharmed?"

"Absolutely."

Jack almost wilted under the dominating stare, but remained firm. He could not show any weakness.

Making the call, Jack gave the address and told them to deliver the two women before midnight. The sooner, the better, in his opinion, but he knew that the weather and distance would prove to be a problem. It was a lie when Jack said that he didn't know where Seraphina and her guard were held.

Ending the call, Jack tucked his phone back into his pocket and warily looked up at Hawthorn.

"They said they will be here in half an hour, weather permitting."

"Wonderful. Orin, you and the guards may escort Jack and Maria to the lounge room. They can remain there under your watchful eye until my beloved Seraphina and her guard are returned, safe and sound, as Jack promised."

Jack raised an eyebrow, gesturing to Maria's arms that were still tied behind her back.

"And I suppose the restraints are not required any longer. The staff may supply refreshments if necessary."

Orin removed the restraints and showed the humans to the lounge room, watched over by the group of guards. Hawthorn watched in silence, mulling over the thoughts in his mind. His thoughts were firm and resolute. If Seraphina had even a mark on her body from this, his wrath would be unending.