Chapter 12

The news was a curious thing, in Hawthorn's opinion. One site reported the car crash, giving it the banner headline on their website for a grand total of ten minutes before something else took over. Another news site covered the crash like nothing else was happening in the world.

The son of the British Prime Minister, who was living in New York, was involved in a fatal car crash after returning from a holiday. Because they delved deeper into his life, they knew that the contents of his apartment had been removed and his bank account had been cleaned out. They questioned if he was involved in something shady and that the accident was, in fact, the opposite.

There were no witnesses. It was late at night, and there was nothing that could alter the police report that said it was an accident. The investigation indicated that an animal might have leapt out in front of the car, causing the driver to swerve, roll and hit a wall. The cops stated that the cause and events were clear and that further investigation was unnecessary. Anything that the media had found was unrelated to the accident.

Orin appeared at the arch, hurrying to the lounge. In his hand was a clipboard similar to the one that Kohen constantly used.

"Would you like your update here?"

Seraphina hit the mute on the remote.

"It would seem that our answer is yes. Please proceed, Orin."

He nodded and sat down on the lounge seat opposite Hawthorn and Seraphina.

"The news sites have not connected any of the deaths. Jack's office has released an official statement if you're interested in reading it."

"Not particularly. Give me a broad overview."

"Well, deeply saddened, currently grieving, taking leave from duties to prepare for the funeral and a request for space. They are currently in their private residence."

"And life inside the Wesley house?" Seraphina asked.

"Pure bedlam. Maria has spent the entire time either crying or yelling at Jack. She's blaming him for it, even though it has been reported as a car accident. Neither of them believes it's the truth. Security has increased dramatically, and at the moment, Jack is saying that he's not leaving the safety of the house. Maria's holiday has been cancelled, but not because of her son's death. She found out about her family before the accident and that's when the panic began to set in. The holiday was cancelled because of what happened there, which added to the arguments. Jack can see everyone around him dropping dead."

Kohen entered the room, holding his tablet.

"After I spent the entire day ignoring Jack's calls, he finally emailed you. It is volatile, and he vows revenge for the death of his son. He has threatened to send the army into this place. He's revoked the immunity and states that this building is no longer seen as a consulate for the vampire race."

"But where is his proof that we were involved?"

"The email says that he is aware of the deaths of their extended family and the abductors."

"You can't leave," Orin said as he stood to pace the floor. "This is nothing but a ruse to make us panic and flee back to the sanctum. He will take us down while we're en route."

Something cracked, and the sound of a gunshot echoed. Orin pulled Hawthorn and Seraphina to the floor, seeing the broken glass. Someone had fired at them through the window.

"Get down," he yelled at Kohen.

As Kohen dropped to the floor, Orin pulled out his walkie-talkie. The building was under siege, and as he began barking orders, Orin ushered Hawthorn and Seraphina to the corridor. It was the only place on this floor that didn't have a window or pass by one.