Chapter 15

It was eleven pm when Orin walked into the living room with a glowing smile. The sight made Hawthorn sit up with intrigue.

"All teams have reported in. The straggler targets have been finished, which leaves us with the primary target."

"Tell me you have an early gift for me, Orin."

"Would you like it wrapped in a bow?"

"Hmm. Perhaps a tad macabre."

"Alright. It is done. Dead and burning in a house. All evidence and issues were removed. Guards sleeping soundly with a view of one hell of a party. They took the laced pizzas from the site and replaced the boxes with ones that were not contaminated. It didn't take long for the fire brigade to arrive and start working on the blaze. They also tried to rouse the guards, which led to the paramedics being called. All the guards have been checked and cleared. There were also police involved and a lot of onlookers. Once the police arrived, the teams slipped into the background before disappearing completely. As they left the area, they reported seeing several cars for media and television stations pass them. I think you will find that they are covering it already."

"Wonderful. Ensure that everyone involved is rewarded for their efforts."

"Of course."

Seraphina turned on the news. The light of the fire lit up the screen, delighting Hawthorn even more.

"You're so twisted," Seraphina muttered.

"He played a dangerous game by taunting me, but abducting and hurting you was the final straw. Bruises might heal quickly, but that doesn't mean that you can get past it. How long will you bear the weight of memories?"

Seraphina wanted to say that it would probably be as long as her memories of the day Ruslan ordered the deaths of her entire family. Holding her tongue, Seraphina opted to keep the peace. It wouldn't be an argument, just another long-winded conversation that she'd grown weary of.

"I was merely pointing out that you find too much enjoyment in moments like this."

"Perhaps. It is probably only because it's Jack. If it were someone else, then I doubt that I'd be amused. I like to think that all of this is justified not just because of what he did to you, but because of Nesrin. She did nothing to Jack. They'd never even met. What right did he have to order her death? What was her crime? She never killed a human, never even harmed one. To Jack, her crime was existing. I know, with no doubt, that if Jack wasn't killed tonight, he would have kept going until we were all dead. He made that extremely clear. It is my duty to protect you, my staff, and my citizens. Hopefully, Jack's replacement will see that we are not an issue, and there won't be any need for a repeat. Because I will do this all again if I have to."

That did not surprise Seraphina. She recalled his promise in the moments before they married. No matter what it takes, I will protect you. I will keep you safe.

Seraphina appreciated the sentiment, but it meant little at the time because he was the enemy. Time would show Seraphina that he was a vampire of his word.

She could see the pain in his eyes when she said that she was tired and wanted to sleep. Many would think it was because they'd just been married, and she was not joining him in the marital bed. Deep down, Seraphina knew Hawthorn could see the truth. She was leaving.

In the days since returning, she'd overheard Hawthorn tell Kohen and Orin that it was safer for Seraphina to be away from the sanctum and, in particular, his father. It sent a shiver up her spine to know that Ruslan would have forced himself upon her, even before she consummated the marriage with Hawthorn.

It had never been repeated, and Seraphina vowed not to tell Hawthorn, but in the hours before they were married, Ruslan had bailed her up in the rear corridor. He told her she was the spoils of war and that he'd gifted her to his son because he already had a wife. If she didn't exist or wasn't around, it would have been a different story. The fact that he was married didn't stop Ruslan from groping her or insinuating that he might change his mind later. She'd managed to avoid his wandering hands, but that didn't mean that she could hide forever. He liked the idea of taking her first, dominating over her and destroying his son's wedding night.

The way that Ruslan was and how he treated everyone put a lot of fear into Seraphina. She didn't want to be anywhere near him. Not only that, but she feared Hawthorn would turn out like his father. Seraphina could see the differences, but in recent days, he'd shown the dark shades of Ruslan. She could only hope that he wouldn't take the dangerous path because if he did, Seraphina would not stay.

It surprised Hawthorn to see Kohen appear at the doorway with Alfie.

"Shouldn't you be at home with your family?"

"Under the advice of your advisor, I moved everyone here until this little war was finished. As a bonus, I can bring you the news almost immediately."

Hawthorn perked up as Alfie sat down. In his hand was a phone, not his ordinary one that was the latest and greatest. This was a small thing that looked cheap.

"This is my burner phone, which I use to liaise with my contact. He has sent a message to say that he appreciates your offer to compensate him but would suggest that the discussion happens in person and not so close to Jack's untimely and unfortunate death. I have checked with Kohen and arranged a date with the source."

"Interesting. Alfie, do you know who this person is?"

Alfie smiled at his king.

"Of course I do. In order to get the information, I had to meet up with him. Quite a diligent fellow, rather accommodating and far more aligned to a symbiotic relationship between this monarchy and the human government."

"It's Benjamin Anderson, isn't it?"

With a nod and a smile, Alfie appeased thecurious king.