Adjusting {Re-edit}

Life has been a whole new experience, despite going through this stage before. That stage being the so-called 'baby life'. Your days have been monotonous. Waking up, crying, feeding, crying again, and sleeping. Knowing from experience that children can be a handful, you attempt to keep your uncontrollable response to a minimum and only necessary when needed, such as food.

Though appearing tranquil and in control, Y/N's mind was anything but calm. Tears would flow constantly as you thought about your previous life, not necessarily because you missed school or being in the workforce, but instead because you felt like you worked for nothing.

'Come on, world! I was doing so well; I had friends, a job that I tolerated, and I had a degree. And don't get me started on the internet! I was going to attempt to watch One Piece after several years of avoiding it'. Y/N mentally screamed, your wails not going unnoticed by your mother, who held you close to her chest and rocked you gently, her warmth like a blanket causing you to drift off to sleep.

That nap would have been blissful if not for the pitter-patter of tiny steps disturbing such peace. Opening your eyes, you went to see who caused a disturbance, only to be met with two twin boys who couldn't be older than three making their way towards you and your mother.

Their hair has an onyx sheen that fades into a red at the tips like a spider lily. The glossy marron irises gleam with the innocence only a child could possess, within the near identical face if not for a fiery mark one of them.

Hesitantly, they approached you.

'Are these my siblings? How adorable... Wait a minute!' You thought to yourself, pondering over what similarities you recognised in your mind.
'Black hair? red tips? twins, but a mark on one? Yorichii and Kokushibo... I'm in demon slayer' and with that thought, your fragile body could handle your predicament, and you lost consciousness.
—--

[5 years later] -[Y/N POV]

Laying inside a kokatsu curved into a ball, you embrace the warmth and peace that is not being near your siblings. As sleep began to take hold of you, a loud voice came booming in.

"Y/N, where are you?! Come on out! I know you aren't stargazing!" The voice that should only belong to Michikatsu calls out.

'How does he know that?'

"It's morning."

'Oh... and?' Contemplating whether or not to keep hiding, you ultimately decide that hiding is worth it. As much as you would usually love to join in on his adventures, the serenity you felt made one forget the fact there man-eating creatures roaming around.

You wait under the kokatsu covering your mouth, making sure to keep as still as possible. However, your efforts seem futile as you feel something grip your feet and drag you out of your comfort zone.
"Is this necessary?" you ask as you accept your fate. You and comfort were never a match made in heaven.

"Are you going to walk yourself?" Michikatsu responded

"Do I have to?" And with that response, he just picked you up from under your arms and carried you away. He proceeded to say things like how hiding from him wasn't possible and how I shouldn't hide there as it's spring. Truthfully, you were only half-listening.

"Anyway, I came to tell you something really cool is happening," and with those words, your concentration on not-concentrating on his words was broken. Noticing the change, he continued with glee.
"Remember your father's subordinate who's teaching me? Yeah, he's allowing Yoriichi to try the sword."
'So this is the time Yoriichi first wields a sword.' And with that, I stood right up before hopping on Michikatsu's back.

"Why?"

"I don't see how different this is from before, so just go."

——
Launching his small body at the swordsman, his hand grasping his shinai tightly, the boy swung his swords, clashing against the might of his opponent. Contrary to the expected outcome, the swordsman stepped backwards, not in surprise but from the boy's powerful strike.

Without giving another chance, the kid swung his sword fiercely and continued his assault against the man, his weapon acting as an extension of his limbs. Staggered, the swordsman blocked his attacks with equal ferocity, his face twisted into that of frustrations with embarrassment building in his soul.

The idea that he was not only being pushed back but losing to a child who couldn't have been more than 8 was awful.

However, his thoughts became reality when the child struck the man's body several times, weaving past his strikes to deliver his own. All this before sweeping the leg of the swordsman and sending him to the ground.

'...wtf Yoriichi.' Is this the only thing on your mind? You stare dead-eyed like a fish at your brother, who casually drops the shinai and walks over to you and Michikatsu.

"Father's not going to like this," you whisper to yourself, following Michikatsu and Yoriichi to sit.

"Yoriichi, how did you do that?" Michikatsu asked with no hesitation.

"How about a 'Congratulations, Yoriichi!'  first? Oh, and congratulations, Yoriichi, for doing amazing," you say as a dig to Michikatsu while remembering to say your praise.

"R-right. Congrats! That was astonishing," Michikatsu praised, though slightly meekly.

"Thank you both. To answer your question, your opponent's lungs expand before they strike, so watch their bone movement, muscle contraction, and blood flow closely," Yoriich explained calmly as I handed him a piece of mochi I forced Michikatsu to bring.

'...those are a lot of words an eight-year-old should not be using in a conversation. And I'm guessing this is about the transparent world, which is useless to us as we can't do it'. Thinking to yourself, you listen as Yoriichi attempts to explain more stuff before he essentially cuts it down to 'breathe'.

Within Michikatsu's face, confusion, worry, and envy flash in his eyes, though they're greatly concealed.

To change the subject, you turn to my twin brothers.
"Do you guys think I'll be able to convince father to allow me to learn as well?"

"You want to learn the sword?" They both exclaimed simultaneously.

"Yeah, drawing constellations is fun and all. And etiquette training is ok. But I really want to punch something."

"That would be-"

"You'll do great." Yoriichi cuts Michikatsu off and brings you into a hug, smiling softly at you. Reciprocating this action and then turning to Michikatsu.

"What!"

"Your father's favourite. You can make it happen." You say you are staring at him, even causing Yoriichi to do the same.

"I, uh, can try," he mumbled out, and before he knew it, you jumped onto him, happily laughing and thanking him. Yoriichi soon follows suit, joining the hug.

For the rest of the day, you spent your time together playing ban-suguroku and being outside, attempting to get over the dread that awaits soon.