Chapter 20

Three years ago:

I never knew where I belonged. But sitting here, right now, I can start to imagine that place.

Fish was drinking a beer infront of me, not seeing when I secretly drink from his can. He was looking for signs of vampires in the paper, while I was watching a show on TV.

Even though I was captivated by the show, I kept stealing quick glances at Fish.

"My real name isn't Fish, you know?" He says suddenly.

"No I didn't know that." I mumble.

"It's really James. You know why everyone calls me Fish?" I shake my head. "When I was in highschool and middle school, I was on my schools swimming team. It was an all werewolf school, but I was the best swimmer they had seen in a long time. I was given that nickname when I crushed the previous record holder in a race. You know what I felt that day, when I got that name?"

He pauses, "I felt like I belonged. Do you know where you belong Rose?" He didn't want an answer, he knew it. "You don't belong anywhere, because you will never fit into their little, unimportant categories."

"We're all unimportant. We're an unimportant species, on an unimportant planet, in a small galaxy, inside a universe full of small galaxies, unimportant planets, and unimportant species." I correct.

"No, not you. You're much more important than that. The universe is infinite, so really there is no point in thinking on such a small scale. Our planet may be small, and unimportant, but we have to make ourselves important. You do that without trying. You're not fulled by your ego, or by power, your fueled by what ever you feel. And for that, you will never fit, because you're unpredictable."

The way he talked about me, it reminded me so much of my mother. She never met Fish, or James, but she would have loved him. She would have seen him as family, but she wasn't here, so it wasn't worth dwelling over.

"And stop drinking my beer."

~~~
Present:

I wake up much earlier than usual. I hadn't noticed until yesterday, but Xavier was always out of the house by seven. Either rerouting patrols, or fixing an issue between packs.

Anyway, today I was going to do some of my own training. Despite popular belief I did actually take care of my body. I had a decent ammount of muscle and before Fish left I was in great shape.

Now I wasn't and it was up to me to fix that. Now don't assume because I'm doing this I'll be any more willing to train with Xavier because that's a lie.

I was only training with Talon, it would help, I guess, to work with the closest person to Fish. That was Talons job, pretend to be his dad. But i knew, before even starting that Talon would never be his dad. There would never be the same wisdom in his eyes, or crinkles by his eyes.

I miss Fish so much, I miss the way he always had a story for each situation.

A knock sounded against my door, pulling me out of my thoughts. I immediatley go to the door opening it without a second thought.

"Oh, yeah Blaine." I say, slightly suprised. I didn't see Blaine much, being the gamma and all. He was fun though, much nicer than Ryder and Xavier, and almost as nice as Matthew.

"Rose." He says with a polite nod. "You have a visitor down stairs. I believe it's Talon."

"Can you tell him I'll be there in a minute, I have to change."

"Will do."

With that he's gone, leaving me to change. I throw on a tank top and stretchy shorts, I wasn't really into the whole sports bra as a shirt thing. I also put my hair into a slick ponytail, making sure it's nice and tight.