Chapter 4 : Phana

I watched as Forth sat on my couch, just resting his head against the headrest and looking out at my balcony listlessly.

He had just filled me in on what had happened at Park's. I sighed. I got Forth a beer and sat next to him. "Do you want me to speak to Park?"

"No, its fine. Its not your quarrel. Its ours. Maybe we need some time apart."

"Time apart? You guys been stuck at the hips since college and have been even more so for the last 4 years. There is no such thing as time apart. You will miss him. You probably already do miss him greatly."

Forth just glared at me and turned away, chugging the beer. Just then Forth's phone rang. He refused to look at it and pushed it away. I looked at it and Park was calling.

"It's Park Forth. Answer it. Make a difference. Solve your issues by talking it out. No matter how difficult it is."

Forth shook his head stubbornly until I flicked him on his head and he finally agreed. He took the phone and answered.

"I'm at Pha's."

"Tonight?" Forth almost disagreed and I then kicked him in his shins. He glared at me and agreed to meet Park at their favorite hangout place. I pushed Forth to wash his hands, take a shower and tidy himself up before sending him. He wanted me to wait and I disagreed but he was adamant so I parked the car and waited at the carpark opposite.

I watched as Forth went into the cafe that they often had their breakfast dates in. Park joined soon after and I saw them conversing. I was pretty stoked; it looked like it was going well. I just waited patiently and soon Forth came out.

He walked over to me but something about his demeanour was off. He was hunched over as he walked and his hands were stuffed in his jacket.

I reached out to him and held onto his hand slowly as I asked him. "Is everything ok?"

Forth refused to look at me and just shook his head. "Forth, look at me. Is everything ok?" Finally after much prodding, Forth looked up at me, his eyes full of tears.

"What happened?" I whispered, mildly afraid to hear the answer.

"Park wants to end things for good. He said my jealousy was too much and that I would always suspect him and Lam. I don't suspect them. All I ask is spend less time with him. Is that so wrong?"

I looked at Forth stricken. It really didn't sound like Park but then again I knew Forth better than Park so I was riding out on a wild chase here. I just held onto Forth and pulled him towards me for a hug, trying to soothe him. He was in much pain and it was obvious. Just then, Park came towards us to get to his bike. Shit. He saw Forth and me and he narrowed his eyes at me.

I pulled away from Forth and tried to explain to Park who jsut waved it away.

"It's cool. Of course, he's allowed to have his close friends and I am supposed to be ok with it but woe behold me, me having close friends."

"Park. It's not what you think it is... its just that Forth was feeling particularly down. Look I know its not my business but...Forth is..."

"You are right. Stay out of it. Its not your business." Park sniped at me. I gulped. Forth got pissed and jumped in before I could stop him.

"At least Pha cares about my feelings enough to acknowledge it. And to comfort me! But you. Its his business as much as mine!"

"Forth..don't throw your words around."

"And its ok for you to do so?"

Shit. This was spiralling. I tried to tug at Forth's arms to get him to stop talking. He turned to look at me and wanted to retort something but I shook my head. He stopped, sighing. Forth turned to look at Park.

"Maybe it's for the better we ended things."

Say, what?! I watched dumbfounded as Forth just went to sit in my car and Park stared at him stunned. And me?

I was caught like a deer in its headlights.