Chapter 6 : Forth

I woke up, groaning softly. I barely slept the whole night, thinking about Park.

Pha just threw a towel at my face, insisting that I showered and got ready as he had somewhere to bring me. I just nodded listlessly and got ready on auto pilot mode.

We left around 10am and went to this nearby eatery for a late breakfast. Just as we sat down, 2 other people joined us. I looked up to realize it was Park and Lam.

"Park..."

Park was also stunned to see me. I guess we had been set up by Lam and Pha who were grinning away sheepishly at us. Lam and Pha stood up. Lam just glared at us and muttered "Sort it out. I don't want to see either of you at my apartment or Pha's."

They walked off before we could say anything. I looked over at Park who was just staring at the table. I inched my hand over and placed it gingerly on his. He looked at it for a while and then took it away.

"Park. Can't we talk about this?"

"There's nothing for us to talk about, is there?"

"I love you so much Park. I do. It's crazy on how much I do and its even crazier that we are fighting like this. Its not that I don't trust you or Lam. All I asked was, treat me like the boyfriend. Not him."

"We are best friends, dammnit! All of us are. Why is it so hard for you to accept that we are just friends?!"

"Do you have to hang out with him all the time? Do you know or even realize how many dates you have cancelled with me just because Lam needed a favour or you wanted to go help him with something? How many times you have brought him on our dates to hang? We hang out with him as friends but you also bring him on our dates. Then where do I fit in, Park? I want to know. Am I your boyfriend or just another friend?"

"You are so jealous. Oh gosh. This is frustrating. You behave the same way with Pha. Do you see me complaining?! In fact you always say Pha is so perfect. If he is, why don't you date perfect Pha?!"

"Then you can go date your best friend Lam! Since he seems so understanding and what not!!"

I stood up, banging my hand on the table angrily! I walked off, going to my bike and taking off. I went back to my apartment and just locked myself in. About 2 hours later, someone kept persistenly knocking on my door. I finally opened it, cursing at the person only to realise Lam stood there.

"Lam.."

"Are you ok?"

I kept quiet, sullenly looking at the floor. He repeated himself again but I didn't answer. Lam finally grabbed my hand and pulled my face to look at him.

"I asked are you ok? Answer me Forth. Damn it. Stop making me worried. You are my friend, in case you have forgotten. I worry about you as much as I worry about Park."

I looked at him, my face finally breaking its composure. My tears came rolling down and I just grabbed Lam in a hug, sobbing quietly. Lam sighed as he held onto me, trying to soothe me.

It was unlike our style but we both knew I needed this. I needed someone to comfort me. I broke away from the hug, after a bit, sniffling and just turning away. Lam held onto my hand and came into the apartment. I looked at him confused.

"I'm staying over tonight. You can do with the company."

"But Park..."

"He be fine. Pha offered to check on him."

"He doesn't even like Pha that much."

"Precisely. Let him suffer for a bit. Now, you want a beer, got any? Or else I order."

I snorted against my better will and nodded towards my fridge. We got beers out, chatting over them. We have always been good friends and that didn't change. I just was feeling threatened and low key jealous over Lam's presence in Park's life.

"Are you more assured now?"

"Hmmm?"

"I'm not just Park's friend. I'm yours too. I'm sorry for not spending more time with you and for taking Park away from you. I didn't mean to do that intentionally. I just.. want my two best friends to be happy together. You know you are good for each other. Can't you guys try again?"

I looked at Lam forlornly. "I am not sure Lam. I feel like I screwed things up even more today."

"Try and talk to him again. Or just be there for him. Be there for him as you always are. He will come around. He just needs to see that you are still the same old Forth."

I looked at Lam, nodding my head. We continued drinking until we finished all the beers in my fridge. It was close to 1am and there were like over 12 cans all around us. I was completely flushed out as the drinking had gotten to me also on top of my pent up emotions.

I laid back, just next to Lam who was equally flushed too. We both looked at each other and grinned drunkenly.

"You ok?" Lam uttered softly.

"Hmm hmm. I'm just tired."

"Here, come, rest here. On my shoulders. Come on." Lam patted his shoulder softly and smiled at me. I inched closer to him and laid my head on his shoulder. Comforted, I ended up dozing off and slept on his shoulders for the rest of the morning.

Around 8am, my front door opened. Both Lam and me stirred awake, trying to open our eyes only to see Pha standing there looking stunned. He cast a look around at the room, the beer cans all over and Lam holding onto me.

"What the heck is going on?"

"Owh Phaa. Hey come on. Sorry you had to see this mess. Lam came over last night. And we hung out. Ended up falling asleep in his arms. But it's all good. Come on in."

Pha just looked at us sullenly. Then he looked at Lam.

"Lam. What's all of this?"

Lam looked at Pha, slowly standing up. "It is as what Forth said. Nothing happened. I was just trying to be there for him."

"But did you have to hold onto him?'

Lam fell silent. I looked at both of them confused. I stood up, running a hand through my hair as I tried to take in everything.

"Pha. What's wrong? Lam was just being a friend to me.."

"Really? Because now I know how Park feels when he sees me with you. That's my boyfriend damn it. And why was he playing boyfriend to you?!"

I was stunned as Pha just took off. I looked over at Lam who just looked stricken for the first time in all of the years I have known him.

"Lam.."

Lam just sighed as he grabbed his jacket, hurrying to go after Pha, promising to call me. I just nodded but I was so so confused.

Lam and Pha were dating?! Since when?!?