The Ambush

As hundreds of hoofs beat the ground, Captain Levi was propelled forward atop his jet black horse. Although he had done this many times, there was still a certain element of exhileration to it. Having grown up in the underground district, Levi never had quite gotten used to the wide open majesty of this place.
Unfortunately, he hadn't the time to contemplate it. From out of nowhere, a 15 meter Titan came waddling over the hills toward the soldiers. Someone fired a flare, but it was too late. The beast was upon them. Levi cursed under his breath as it slammed his ranks. He knew his people could take it on, but it was bad luck to start the expedition like this.

All Hael could hear was the wind and the blood rushing through her ears as her 3-D Maneuvering Device gained purchase on the Titan's pale skin. She grinned despite the terror twisting her stomach. With her cloak billowing behind her, she felt alive for the first time ever. In a silver flash her blades clicked onto the hilt, and not a moment too soon. The grappling hook on her 3DMD loosened and Hael expertly reassigned it to the back of the Titan's head as she swung around. Then there was a spray of warm red blood as her swords cut deep in the monster's skin. It groaned and fell to the ground hard.
But Hael wasn't there. With her cords lodged firmly in the ground, she sped forward with a whoop and hit the grass with a roll to absorb the shock. Firing forward without hesitation, she was on her horse in a second.

And so the Survey Corps pounded onward. Few soldiers were lost in those first few hours, the more elite, including Hael and several other older scouts cut down the Titans that approached the flanks. In time the group came to the ambush location. The mission was to set up in this valley of tall rock spires and ambush every Titan that approached, easily cutting them down and not enduring heavy casualties.

The tall limestone spires were like another planet to the army. A merciless sun beat down on their backs, causing the horses to slow and the troups to swelter under the heavy, green cloaks.
"We are made to work in forests, not this god-damned wasteland!" One soldier complained, wiping sweat from his brow.

Upon the command of Erwin Smith, the Survey Corps activated their 3DMDs and took to the skies, spreading downward until the entire valley was dotted green cloaks and the glinting of silver blades. When a Titan entered the area, it was to be quickly dispatched by the front lines. Should they fail, the second, third and so-on lines were to take over. Each line the Titan passed was to step back as so not to sustain casualties and allow the next squad to take a stab at it.

The Titans were to be drawn in by an elite force that would aid each line in the battle. This squadron was led by Captain Levi and contained the best of each class that still survived, Hael being one of them.

The Survey Corps were battle-hardened and well prepared, but no one had bet on what was to come...