Reunion

"Levi!" He heard his name as he fell. Levi scrambled in the air, trying to stop himself, but there was nothing to grab. She was alive. How had he believed she wasn't? He had given up. Stupid. Pathetic.

When Hael's hands had touched his, it was like a bolt of lightning. The denial and confusion cleared and Levi's knees had buckled. He stumbled back involuntary and and fallen.

The nurse wheeled Hael to the window quickly. Hael looked out, relieved to see a pond under the window. Ripples spread out from where he hit the water. She waited. He didn't appear. Where was he? After about a minute Hael couldn't take it. She hauled herself onto the window sill and jumped before anyone could stop her.

Hitting the water was like slamming into a Titan's hand at full speed. The air was knocked from Levi's lungs and his whole body was numb. He couldn't move his fingers. Or his toes. Or his arms. Or his legs. He just sunk. She was alive and now he was about to die. She was alive. Alive. He could accept death as long as Hael was alright. He closed his eyes.

Air rushed by Hael's face and she heard the calls of the nurse and of Erwin. Where was he? She wasn't about to let him die after she'd survived that. Hael hit the water. Pain exploded from her hips and Hael screamed under water, muddy water filling her mouth. Her vision swam with black spots and she didn't have the strength or will to swim up.

He heard the splash and the shrill sound of a scream. Hael? Why wasn't she swimming up? Lungs aching for air, Levi had only moments. The sun caught her hair, illuminating it red. She was sinking and he couldn't move. He pushed against the invisible force holding him. Black spots danced. He moved a finger. The world was fuzzy at the edges. His hand lifted from the muck. Colors were changing in his vision.

Levi pushed off the muddy ground and grabbed Hael. Their heads broke the surface and Levi gasped, sucking in the air desperately; then realized that Hael didn't. He hauled her to the edge and pushed sharply on her chest, "Come on Hael. Tch, you idiot. Wake up. Please!" He pushed one more time and Hael coughed up a few mouthfuls of water.

Her eyes opened and Hael saw Levi above her. Part of her was ecstatic, but another part was angry; that side won over. Her hand flashed up, backhanding Levi across the face. She tried to sit up, but nausea rolled over her, so she stayed laying down. "Listen up you bastard. I'm alive, no thanks to that little window stunt. You need to get a grip on yourself and--look me in the face you little weasel-- get a grip on yourself and--" Hael was cut off as Levi pressed his mouth against hers. "I love you. I love you Hael. Don't you ever leave me again." Levi had tears in his eyes as he held Hael close. For a moment, Hael fought back, but then she just melted against him and said, "I won't. I won't. I love you too." Levi laid there and savored the warmth he thought he would never feel again.

They laid there on the grass beside the pond in each other's arms; not caring at all about the curious cadets training nearby.

----------

One chapter left. I don't know wheather to be relieved or sad! Thank you for making it this far, and if you skip chapters, please don't! Give me a star if you have enjoyed *anything* up to this point, give me a ⭐️!

Ugh. One more chapter re-written. I never really realized how much I disliked the writing in these. I'm amazed and thankful for you guys who do like them! Thanks!