Promise

For a long while, things were flawless. One day, on the hill that they'd both come to love, Levi dropped to one knee and proposed to Hael. "Hael, these past few months have been the best of my life," he stopped and swallowed, as if this was difficult for him, "and I would love to make the rest of our lives like that. Hael Negroj, will you marry me?"
Hael had her hands folded in front of her mouth, tears forming in her eyes. Levi thought that was a good sign, then she dropped to her knees in front of him, wrapping her arms around him and whispered in his ear, "No."

No? Just no? What was she doing, didn't she love him? He tried to pull away, but small built Hael suddenly had a grip like iron. He could see why she was top of her class.

Hael had tears running down her face. She could tell he was hurt, very hurt. "I-- I'm sorry Levi. I love you--"
"Tch. You love me? You LOVE me? Then why reject me?" He tried to pull away, Hael knew he was strong, but not that strong! Fortunately for her, she was in a better position and had no small amount of strength herself. "Calm down, its not like that! I--"
"Its not like that? Then what is it like? Let me go!" He shoved at her again and spoke her such bitterness that Hael felt her heart break for him.
"Shut up! Just listen," Hael sobbed, "listen. Please."
Levi growled into her shoulder, "Fine, make it quick."
"Alright, how do I say this? I-- I love you, very much. And I feel like, in the situation we are in, if I lost you... I couldn't take it. I'd kill myself Levi. I'd rather die than live without you! I just feel like this isn't the right time to be married." Hael sobbed into his back.

The strength went out of Levi's body; he just slumped into her arms for a moment. Then he sat up, and Hael let him, hoping he wouldn't bolt. But he didn't, Levi sat up and took Hael in his arms. He whispered in her ear, "Take the ring Hael. Take it as a promise. A promise that when this is over, we can be together." Hael grabbed onto his arms like they were a lifeline and said, "Yes-- yes. Okay. Levi, I love you and I will marry you, after all this is over."

Together they walked back, with hearts full of love and sorrow.