Travel

Erwin commanded the troups out. Hael was filled with the regular mix of excitement, fear and the slightly newer sense of worry for Levi. She was assigned to the right flank where she saw one of her friends riding, "You ready for this?" She called.
"Ha! As ready as I'll ever be to die!" He replied surprisingly lightheartedly.
"You made it this far, this mission shouldn't be any different." Hael called before drifting off to her position.

The path that Erwin had selected was riddled with dangers. He was concerned that they wouldn't make it very far before too many soldiers were picked off. This was a risky mission, but the council within Wall Sina claimed that closing that hole could begin the process of reclaiming human territory.

As long as things went according to plan, which it never seemed to, they should make it out okay. They were to take up his semi circle formation in which the outside flanks would fire their flares until he got the message and gave the order to turn. Once they arrived at the wall, the majority of troups would guard the few that would inspect the wall. They were protecting an engineer who had never been outside the walls. He would be one to go up and check the hole out.

Levi could see Erwin was lost in thought when a flare went off on the left flank. "Erwin!" He didn't respond, "Erwin Smith, flare!" Erwin finally turned and glanced at Levi and then up the way he pointed, Erwin expertly fired off a responding flare and the formation turned.

It went like that for the trip there. Flares and responding flares, fortunatly no variants were spotted. Each time a flare came from the right, Levi's heart hit the ground in fear for Hael. But, upon arrival, he saw her safely sitting atop Wind and breathed a sigh of relief.

They had arrived at the gaping hole in the wall, but the mission was just beginning.

----------

Alright. Maybe I'm OCD, but why did I have one chapter with 10 reads, the next with one, the next three or four with zero and then one with four? Who's out there skipping chapters? Ugh. That bothers me.

Heres a story for all you good little boys and girls who don't skip chapters: Once upon a time, I read Catching Fire. I lost my place and came back in on the wrong chapter. Without realizing I skipped some, I read about half the book and then had to go back and reread it. Don't be like me. Don't skip chapters.😞