9

╭─────────╮
𝐵𝑒𝑦𝑜𝑛𝑐𝑒́
╰─────────╯

"Take me somewhere." Onika suggested. We've been talking on the phone for the last two hours and were slowly running out of conversation topics.

I watched as she moved around the room before laughing quietly. "It's almost midnight, where could you possibly want to go?"

"Anywhere, I just want to be with you..." She said to me. I smiled, contemplating for a moment how I would get away with this. I sighed, "alright, I'll come pick you up. Stay on the phone."

"Okay BB." Her entire face lit up making me feel so warm inside. I'd really do anything for this girl.

I grabbed my slides, phone, and my keys before sneaking out of my room and out of the house. I put my slides on as soon as I made it outside and went to my car. As I drove I took subtle glances at Onika, seeing that she was sneaking out as well. I guess her parents are home now.

I never wanted to ask about it before but the relationship she had with her parents was odd to me. She never talked about them and whenever I was over there with her the house would be completely empty besides us.

It worries me. She's only seventeen. Anything could happen to her, any creep could follow her home or break in. They should know better than to just leave her.

But, it isn't my place to pry. Especially if she doesn't want to talk about it.

I pulled up to her house and unlocked the door for her to get in. She climbed inside and leaned over the center console to kiss my cheek before settling in the passenger seat.

I decided that since it was the middle of the night we could just grab some snacks and hang out at the park. I had a blanket in my car so I just laid it out on the grass and set up our snacks. I laid down and she sat beside me.

We sat in a comfortable silence, staring into the night sky and watching the stars sparkle. They reminded me of her eyes when she looks at me, bright and fulfilling. One of the many things that draw me to her.

Falling for Onika has been this ongoing experience of 'will we, won't we' where every time I find myself finding a way to back out she just gives me another reason to coddle her and fantasize about us being more than friends. It confuses me. It feels like a game of tug of war where every time either of us pulls the line gets shorter and shorter. Now we're so close, nothing can break us apart. Especially not some dumb ass game.

Speaking of maybe now is a good time to tell her. There's no one around, no one to tell me I can't.

"Nicki?"

She gazed down at me and turned around fully, laying on her stomach. "Yes BB?"

"I didn't tell you exactly what I wanted to during lunch. I mean, I didn't know how to say it without making it seem like I was apart of it all along."

Her brows furrowed and she leaned up a little. "What were you trying to say? I understand your advice, you know I'd never let anyone do me dirty again. Not after what Kofi did. What else is there to say?"

I sighed, "I know why he did it."

She sat up completely, her face blank. "You knew?" Her voice got quiet.