15

╭─────────╮
𝑂𝑛𝑖𝑘𝑎
╰─────────╯

I don't know what to do.

Things were going so fast. Everything was spinning.

I felt faint as I listened to my mother cry over the phone, mentally spewing profanities as I thought of what I should decide.

I tried not to cry but as I stood in the bathroom of one of the biggest celebrations of the school year, all I could feel was dread as I gazed over my jeweled yellow dress and loose curls. My now ruined makeup.

How could I have fun when my father is in the hospital fighting for his life.

It's so selfish to think that this was more important.

"D-do they know if he'll live?" I asked through an array of sniffles. Bey would be so disappointed to see that I'm crying about this, but I can't help it. He's still my dad.

"It's hard to say right now but the seizure was almost critical. When can you come by the hospital and what's all that noise?" My mother asked me and I frowned a little, feeling more guilty.

"I'm at the homecoming dance, but I'll be there soon, I promise."

"Good, don't let your father down." She said softly before hanging up. I released a deep breath, walking out of the bathroom and making my way to the exit. Before I could even make it to the parking lot, my name was called.

I stopped and slowly turned to my girlfriend and friends as they followed me, utterly confused by my behavior. "Dove, where are you going, the dance isn't over yet."

"I need to check on my parents..." I whispered, staring at my feet as if my shoes were the most interesting thing.

"What'd you say, you need to speak up, baby. Tell me what happened." Her shoes soon came into my view, but not for long. She gently lifted my chin and made me look at her. "Talk to me."

"My father. He– he had a-a seizure, BB. A really, really bad seizure." Tears filled my eyes again and I couldn't stop thinking about how bad of a daughter I've been. "I have to go... I-I need to be by his side–"

"No you don't, Onika. I told you I wasn't going to have this conversation with you again. Those people don't care about you. They don't, not the same way I do."

I shook my head. "I messed up, I can't be here." My lip trembled. I don't even know what to do anymore. This is all too much.

Bey let my face go, running her fingers through her hair. "Dove, please. Think this through." I could see the exasperated expression her face held, "why do you have to be so stubborn? I'm trying to protect you. What if this is all a trick?" Her honey eyes misted, causing my heart to break.

"You don't understand–"

"I don't understand?! I love you, Onika! Everything I've done is for you! So that I can help you!" She argued, tears falling like mine. As if this wasn't bad enough, thunder sounded off in the distance and rain began to fall.

"Can we not do this here, Bey, please..." I broke free from her gaze and felt my face heat in embarrassment as our friends stood there, watching this unfold. Watching as I refused to take her hand and waltz back into the building. Watching as I struggled to decide whether I should take that step back to my car.