THE ESCAPE

When Bruce reached the altar, the leader of the cult was praying some chants in his loops. Every other member had wine glasses in which the red thick blood was clearly seen. Bruce was unaware that this was not the blood of the girl but it was the blood of the pronghorn. So when Bruce saw them drinking the blood, his heart drop down, and he felt an uneasiness in his body. He failed to save the life of that innocent child. He was about to be collapsed when suddenly he saw the girl was still breathing and very much alive.

He felt a weight lift from his chest. He was never happy before in his life. When his mind settled, the real question raised in his mind, was how he saved this girl.

He looked around and saw twenty people but he did not know their genders or age because they were hidden in the red robes.

It was a gamble to do anything without knowing the consequences. But he decided and aimed the gun at the leader. Before he pulled the trigger, he heard a scream.

Scream of a member of the group. They were all gathered around him and speak some gibberish chants. They took him and take away from the altar. When the cult was busy in doing their rituals Bruce was planning for something. He took that chance and went near the girl who was almost unconscious. He approached her and tried to open her tied hands. He held her with his shoulder and stand her but she fell on the ground. She was under the dose of some sedative. Her legs were not working, her mind was blank.

Bruce knew from her blank face that she was under the influence of some medicine. So he held her on her back and moved away from the altar stone.

He ran towards the camp side. The girl was very light so it was not difficult for him to carry a kid on his back.

In the meantime, when cult members came towards the altar for their final ritual, they were astonished to see that altar was empty. There was no one there. All their effort was going to be wasted. Their sacrifice to change the world was about to be destroyed by someone else. The leader came forward as he saw that other members had panicked by this thing.

"Someone is trying to make this world hell, this is our time to stop that person," he said while removing his robe. He was a man with a strong build in his mid-forties.

"All of you spread in the jungle and kill anyone who tries to come in our way," he said these words coldly. He knew because as a top business in the city, everyone was in his pocket. This cult did not consist of commoners, all of the members belonged to politics, security, and all-powerful trades.