Chapter IV - The Loner

Word Count ~ 2.7k (whoops)

Timeline: September 2011

TW: Memory loss, mentions of death/blood/injury

BDubs had missed the sun so badly. He had very few memories of it, as most of his memories had seemingly wandered off into oblivion during the years he was left in the dark, but the one thing he could remember was the sun. For an unknown amount of time he had lay there, trapped in his own subconscious, hoping that someday he would have the strength to escape his coma-like sleep and get back to its light.

Now, it was ironic that the first thing BDubs did when he got out of the caves was sleep again, but the sun was already going down and it wasn't like he could help himself. Besides, he really didn't want to stick around when the darkness came back. So BDubs let himself sleep, and was relieved when he was able to open his eyes again in the morning. 

As much as he just wanted to stay there, lying in the sun, BDubs felt somewhat obliged to thank the person that had helped him escape. However, the stranger seemed to be long gone, leaving BDubs alone once again. Not that he was surprised, the human surely had a life and a family to get back to... unlike him. 

BDubs sat up, his mossy cloak slightly damp from the dew that clung to the grass around him. He took in his surroundings, beginning to plan which direction would be best to travel in, but that was when he heard the hissing noise from behind him.

Impulsively BDubs jumped, expecting a creeper, but when he turned around all he saw was a small, cozy looking fire with the human from yesterday sitting beside it. He laughed at BDubs' alarm, a warm, friendly laugh that calmed the Glare down a little. "Sorry, I didn't mean to spook you. Do you want something to eat?"

BDubs looked down at the fire, where a piece of meat that had been impaled by a stick was slowly being cooked over the flames. Although BDubs didn't need to eat, as he was able to gain most of his energy through photosynthesising, he was still capable of processing food and was admittedly curious of whatever it was the human was cooking.

BDubs moved a little closer, still too shy to talk but eager to show his interest, so the human tore a piece off and handed it to him. He hesitated only briefly before taking a small bite of the meat, and his eyes immediately went wide, stunned by the unfamiliarity. The outside was tough, and had a smoky taste where the meat had been burnt a little by the fire. But the inside was soft and chewy, its saltiness contrasting with the smokiness in such a strange yet brilliant way.

BDubs needed more.

The stranger laughed, quite amused by BDubs' excitement as he gave him another piece. "Alright, just don't eat too quickly now. There's plenty to go around, and I don't want you burning your mouth." He warned, watching as the second bit of meat disappeared just as quickly as the first. Then he smiled. "You're... oddly endearing, you know. I don't think I'm gonna mind having you in my company."

Then he held out a hand. "TFC, or Tin if you prefer."

BDubs stared at TFC's hand for a moment, before mimicking what the human had done by holding out his own hand. Unsure what else he was supposed to do, he sort of awkwardly high-fived TFC instead of returning the handshake. Which was actually quite a reasonable response, as BDubs didn't know what a handshake or a high-five was.

TFC shrugged, having figured anyway that the gesture would have confused BDubs. "Well, I guess that works too. Not much of a talker, are you though? Do you at least have a name?"

"BDubs." BDubs replied quietly, not used to using his voice after however long he'd spent in solitude. TFC raised his eyebrows, seemingly surprised that the Glare could actually speak but happy nonetheless.